My Panasonics... and others

zeringer

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Here are my current rides...

The first is my 1988 Panasonic DX-5000. Tange Prestige tubed with Shimano 600 Ultegra group. I bought this one brand new back in 1988.

Next up is a 1988 Panasonic DX-4000. Tange 1 tubed with Shimano 105 group. This one belongs to my father (also since new) and I figured I'd post it for kicks.

My UberSonic... a 1986 Panasonic Team America. Columbus SL tubed with Dura Ace and Araya Aero tubulars.

My first road bike, which was stolen... an '85 Panasonic Team

The everyday rider is a 2000 Pinarello Paris with Record Carbon 10. I built this one to replace the DX-5000. I love it!
Lastly, the current restoration project... Atala SLX circa 1990 or so. The Pinarello and Atala are not pictured as I had reached the maximum attachment limit.

If there are any other Panasonic owners lurking here please drop me a line. :D ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7236 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7236 (Medium).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,672
  • IMG_7621 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7621 (Large).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 4,672
  • IMG_7699 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7699 (Large).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 4,672
  • IMG_7702 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7702 (Large).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 4,672
The others...

2000 Pinarello and the '90 Atala SLX resto-project

Attachments

• IMG_7186 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7186 (Medium).JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 4,670
  • IMG_7669 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7669 (Large).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 4,670
Hello Zeringer,

Welcome to the site :)

Nice bikes you have there. I have two Panasonics: a Panasonic MC-Comp elevated chainstay mountainbike and a MC-6500 spare frame. Both are well crafted frames made of Tange MTB OS. No light weights, but durable performance mountianbikes.

I still dream of owning an early 90s Panasonic PR6000 road bike. To my information that bike never made it to the US market, as Panasonic had withdrawn by '89. Because of expensive Yen and the rise of Taiwan mainly. Other great makes like Miyata and Bidgestone stayed a little longer, but by mid 90s they too were gone because of the same reason. In Europe Panasonic was around till mid 90s.

I scanned the 1991 Panasonic catalogue a while ago. You can find it here. The catalogue is in Dutch, but I can tell that on the PR6000 it says that it is the best handmade roadbike in the cyclingworld. Quite a claim, but pretty sure it won't be far from the truth. I see PR6000s offered on local classified sites quite regularly, so I am pretty confident that one day I encounter the right one that will be mine :)

PR6000 in the 1991 catalogue =>

Pana18800.jpg

I know Panasonic is still making bicycles. They carry a great line of custom butted titanium bicycles and they also still do sweet steel =>

fp29_model.jpg

Panabyc POS

Unfortunately they do not make it to Europe (heard there is some import into US)

Ohhhh sign me up for a PR-6000 as well! You're correct, we never saw Panasonics over here during the 90's. Too bad, they were very nicely built.

I'm still watching for an MC-7500 which is the mountain bike cousin of my DX-5000. I should have bought one years ago while I had the chance. Now they are nearly impossible to find in good condition... or to find at all for that matter.

All look to be very nice bikes but did anyone import Panasonic into the UK? They're a make of bike that frequently comes up on US sites but not on UK ones. Who actually made the frames, did/do Panasonic have their own builders?

zeringer":3p1ab897 said:
I'm still watching for an MC-7500 which is the mountain bike cousin of my DX-5000. I should have bought one years ago while I had the chance. Now they are nearly impossible to find in good condition... or to find at all for that matter.

Ad featuring a MC-7500 =>

Panasonic_ad.jpg

Old Ned":2oypcei6 said:
All look to be very nice bikes but did anyone import Panasonic into the UK? They're a make of bike that frequently comes up on US sites but not on UK ones. Who actually made the frames, did/do Panasonic have their own builders?

Ned,

Some history on Panasonic at Yellow Jersey

From the site:

Mr Konosuke Matsushita, founder of National/Panasonic, was an adpotee into a family who operated a bicycle shop. His first product was a socket which would accept two light bulbs screwed into one light fixture. From there he built an empire of electric, electronic, banking, appliances and of course bicycles and bicycle tires. He was passionate about cycles and cycling.

Seems Mr. Matsushita himself was a very committed person. Panasonic had their own R&D, production, race team etc. Also remember Matsushita is about as big as all other bike makes together.

Yes, Panasonic built their own frames. In fact, they also built some Raleighs, Schwinn LeTours, etc.

The MC7500 that I want is the 1988 model. It had a paint scheme to match my DX-5000. :D

There isn't a great deal of info out there about Panasonic bicycles, but I'm working on changing that with http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/

Right now the site is a mess. Once I get it better organized and have more free time to devote to it I'll probably be asking for some help from those of you with Panny info from across the pond. ;)

zeringer":ogl21vdn said:
There isn't a great deal of info out there about Panasonic bicycles, but I'm working on changing that with http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/

Ooh... very interesting :shock:

Please, post a heads up when the site is finished.

Very interesting, that 1989 catalogue. I will take a closer look. I scanned the 1991 as you know. You can use it if you want. In 'Gallery 2' under Panasonic you also find the 1995 catalogue. I can tell I have the 1993 catalogue as well, but I have to get my scanner working again!

Latest posts

Back