First project taking shape - Merlin Mountain

Little Bob

Senior Retro Guru
OK guys be gentle...hope you approve, and any thoughts welcome:

2482435590100194875S600x600Q85.jpg

2494099240100194875S600x600Q85.jpg

2796455690100194875S600x600Q85.jpg

1992 Merlin Metalworks Mountain - came without decals which I will replace with some from Gil, although the stealth look is really growing on me. I absolutely adore the frame, it is beautiful to touch with perfect welds and classic, functional lines. Light too.

I managed to get an original pair of Mavic Crossland wheels and grey Z-max which I think look great and suit the frame nicely.

A pair of old RC31's (thanks Jim), a Chris King Nothreadset (thanks Gil), and polished Ritchey stem and Hyperlites make up the front end.

Bits to add:
M900 front mech
Proshift rear mech in pewter
M900 Chainset
M950 V's and levers
XTR Ti cassette
Grey XTR cables (still need these)
Grips - not sure which as yet
XT Thumbshifters or rapidfire - not decided yet

It's taking a ridiculous amount of time but I'm loving it so far
:cool:

I've got a set of wheels like that - you don't see many around. Nice and light. And quiet too!

Loooking good so far...just rotate the bars 90deg towards the seat ;)

Those Mavic Crosslands are ace, I've had a set for years....no trouble other than the occasional tightening of the bearings.

Very nice indeed. I remember drooling over Merlin's in the early 90's at Mike Cookson Cycles calculating how many paper rounds I would have to do to afford one... Stil drooling 20 years on

dude, without wanting to sound like a label snob, but an early merlin is something to be proud of, get the decals on there, they're as tasteful & understated & yet very cool at the same time :)

jango":3h7fkqmq said:
...just rotate the bars 90deg towards the seat ;)

Just noticed they are out a tad - I just stuck them in to get a feel for how it was going to look...honest.

scant":2mifnvtk said:
dude, without wanting to sound like a label snob, but an early merlin is something to be proud of, get the decals on there, they're as tasteful & understated & yet very cool at the same time :)

Agreed - they are on order with Gil and hopefully won't be too much longer.

The stealth look is nice for security though ;)

it needs the original ritchey logic fork. if it's a 92 there would be a fork w/ 400mm axle to crown distance there. or less.
w/a taller fork you modify all of it's intended handling. bad bad bad....

Back