1992 Marin Team Issue project

Mr Toad

Retro Guru
Unable to save myself , I won this for £25 on eBay today. :facepalm:

A 1992 Marin Team Issue frame ! In my size.

It looks pretty rusty , but hey a projects not a project without some grief , right ?

Hoping to have it chrome powder coated to replicate the polished nickel finish which has had it , although I've emailed a company who do nickel plating to get a ballpark figure , you never know , it might be do-able !

Anyway , it won't be a quick project because I have several unfinished bikes in the garage lol so it'll be done as and when , but I'll try to keep it updated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,273
Re:

Indeed it does , seller thinks it may be jammed though or fitted wrongly as the left hand cup is fitted to the right hand side of the frame ?

Never tinkered with a bottom bracket before always leave it to the lbs so have to wait and see what turns up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,255
Re: Re:

Mr Toad":wl6j5ewy said:
Indeed it does , seller thinks it may be jammed though or fitted wrongly as the left hand cup is fitted to the right hand side of the frame ?

The "LH" just refers to the left-handed thread cup, which is correct for the RHS of the frame! :D

Re:

I reckon you'll be surprised how well that'll clean up bud.. a couple of guys on here have done it with scrunched up tin foil. Give us a shout if you need anything to complete the build. ;)

R.

Re:

Bargain project if you ask me ! Wasn't aware that you could get chrome powder coating though . Will look forward to updates

Mike

Re: Uh oh ... Another project

ask jussa on here about oxyacilic acid he just did an old raleigh burner with it and the results were amazing.

Re:

Cool , I've got some oxalic acid as it goes , we use it on the boats at work.

Do you think that the finish can be saved even with all that rust ?

Curious how the tin foil works !

Back