My 1987 Brodie Romax - Original Owner

davidlewis

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I posted a picture of my 1987 Brodie Romax after seen one of it's siblings in another post. Someone suggested I do my own thread with lots of pictures. So, here you go.

Serial number is #370.

I'm the original owner. I worked at Reckless Cycles (as a mechanic turned sales guy) in Vancouver at the Fir street location in the late 80s, and we were one of the first shops to sell Brodies if I recall.

While I had built quite a few bikes at the shop, I had never built one from the ground up, including a wheel build. I was guided through that by our head mechanic - Keith Whittaker. Man, could that guy ever do wheelies. ;)

In a nutshell:

- 21.5" frame (I'm 6'4")
- Fillet-brazed frame, unicrown fork and stem built by Paul Brodie, custom painted at Reckless (they used to have a paint booth - painted by Rich McMullen (sp)), still with original paint ... as you can see.
- New bits, or relatively new (hey, stuff wears out): wheels/tires, chainrings, chain + cassette, rear derailleur, bottom bracket, pedals, front brakes, seat post
- Some original parts remain (Brake levers, shifters, bar, front brakes (in a drawer), u-brake with brake booster, cranks (chain rings are new - different than the pictures), headset, Syncros bar ends

It's got a battle scars (chips, scuffs and scratches - but who doesn't), but it is well loved and maintained. It does need a repaint. But what can I say, it's my daily commute.

I commute on it to work from the time the ice melts to the time it falls and then it's stored. Living in Ottawa now, and my commute is about 25km round trip.

Early on it was used as it should be, as a mountain bike, at UBC, the North Shore, and Whistler. You know, in the late 80s, when you didn't need shocks. ;)

Through many moves across the country, it sat, sadly, mostly collecting dust. A young family means priorities shift ... that is until we moved to Ottawa, a quite bike friendly city, and I was back at it.

I love the bike, but it may be time soon to find it a home with someone who wants to restore it. :/

Perhaps it's time for a new Romax? ;)

And now for the pictures:

Full Bike
1987-Brodie-Romax.jpg

Front angled view
angle.jpg

Through the Cranks
bb-through-cranks.jpg

BB with Reckless sticker
bb-with-Reckless-sticker.jpg

Cable routing
cable-routing.jpg

Seat cluster and Pump Peg
seat-cluster-pump-peg.jpg

Seat stays and Pump Peg
rear-stays-pump-peg.jpg

Head On
head-on.jpg

There you have it. Any questions, fire away.

Cheers,

David

Re:

Thanks for sharing David :D That is a lovely frameset and stem, beautiful brazing, loving the internal cable routing and the pump peg. If I wasn't so short then I'd be in the queue for when you let it go. I'd love to see it fitted with period correct parts but understand why you have fitted the parts you have, being your regular commuter.

Re:

Sweet ride! The matching stem and forks are a nice touch.

BTW, I have #381. Closely related to yours.

Re:

Hey, Mr. Toad ... I guess that makes them ... cousins?

Raidan73 ... thanks! They are sooo pretty. Too late for you to grow, eh? ;) Re the parts. I hear you. The original parts wore out a long time ago. Thus the new one's. And of course, in hindsite, I would have kept them for that reason. But of course, you know ... hindsight. ;)

Re:

hi
good idea to start your own thread. :LOL:
now it won't get lost on the end of the other one.
thanks for the additional pic's. that is a beauty. we love romax's. :cool:
and as I said before let me know if you do decide to part with it.
you can check my body of work with respects to brodies on here.
you'll see it will have a good home.
roy

lovely. very unique paint job on that. :cool:

sell it to roy… he doesn't have quite enough in his collection just yet. ;)

Back