1997 Kona Kilauea - bits and bobs build

nik_h

Devout Dirtbag
Finally, I get to post in the proper retro section!

So, back in 1997 I bought this frame from Bike Scene in Guisborough, stuck a set of Judy SL's on it and built it into a really great all-round race bike. Probably the favourite of all the bikes I've owned. Things moved on, both in the bike world and my own life, but I hung onto the frame and it's spent the last few years of its life living under the bed (no storage space in modern flats).

Last week I decided that it really should be restored to its former glory, so I gathered together all of the bits and bobs I've collected over the years, bought a new set of V-brakes and spent the weekend building up a lean single-speed machine. A total mish-mash of old and new.

First test ride was tonight:

df1f29.jpg

7e68ed.jpg

9bc0cd.jpg

109123.jpg

6b4c63.jpg

d39854.jpg

I was planning to sell it, but having ridden it tonight I don't think I can part with it. Rides great!

Cheers,

Nik

Lovely. One of the best paintjobs/decals from Kona IMHO, classy and understated.
How'd you find the modern xt v's? Was underwhelmed by the parallel push XT I've owned although the levers were/are a nice shape.

Re:

Cheers guys, fell in love with the frame the minute I saw it in the shop. Agree it's one of Kona's best paintjobs, though I do have a soft spot for the 1990/1991 era. My first bike was as 1990 Fire Mountain complete with splatter.

Superstu, only had one ride so far, but the XT brakes seem solid. Not done any serious offroad riding yet and it was dry tonight so hard to tell. I originally had M739 v-brakes on it, which had parallel push. If I remember right then they were a little easier to set up because there is little danger of them hitting the tyre wall, especially on chunkier tyres. The new ones are M780 calipers, with M770 levers. Didn't like the look of the M780 levers - sure they work great though.

Nik

Very nice! I love the decals of the old Kona's. My mate had a 1996 Lava Dome, such a lovely colour.

Really nice, clean as a whistle that is!

Makes me want to keep my 98 lava dome which is currently up for sale and make it an SS!

Loving the black components up front, what size is it? 17/18?

Re:

From memory 18. What i like about the old ones in the how thin the tubing is. Really nice simple design.

Re:

Thanks for comments guys. It is indeed an 18" frame. I think if you bought the bike complete back in 97 it came with a grey Project 2 fork, but I prefer the black. Also it was the only one I could find on Ebay in the correct length!

Nik

Back