Paint options for 1991 Muddyfox

HPmuirt

Retro Newbie
Greetings

I have an old 1991 Muddyfox which I acquired years ago already repainted and therefore I cannot identify which model it was. I posted in a MF thread (here) to see if there was any way to identify the model from say the frame number, but it seems not.

The frame is now quite rusty in places and so in need of some TLC. I have a blast cabinet and compressor so I wanted to restore the bike to near original condition, however I cannot find out which model and thus colour it was originally (there is only primer under the current paint and no stickers so it looks like it was stripped before being painted.

Therefore, I need help with either a 1991 MF paint chart, or some suggestions as to which colour would suit a 1991 bike (I was planning on silver with black or white MF stickers I have seen on eBay, although I quite like the orange)

Below is the bike as of now. The rear kids seat frame and lock will be removed and I might try and find a period groupset as it currently has Logan brakes and 95/96 STX-RC, although I might keep the Superstar pedals.

So, any help or suggestions as to how to restore would be gratefully received :)

Cheers n beers

Si

Attachments

• Muddyfox3.jpg
    Muddyfox3.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 987
What happened to the forks? :shock:
It looks like a Seeker:

MF01.JPG

I'd go for that colour, looks classy that way.

Welcome to the world of Foxes. You could probably find the original colour on the steerer or inside the bb tube as not many people go to the trouble of painting that part when doing a quick makeover.

Jamis Diablo":3mktzojx said:
What happened to the forks? :shock:
It looks like a Seeker:

I'd go for that colour, looks classy that way.
Not sure anything has "happened" to the forks as they follow the line of the headtube, but I agree that the Seeker in your picture has a different angle....strange.

As far as I can tell, the frame is the same for all 3 1991 Mega models, but I agree that the Seeker is a great colour (although it had the lowest groupset) and of course I cannot spray the Sorcerer colour scheme. Trouble is, I need a 1991 MF colour chart if I want original paint.

Cheers n beers

Si

just jacques":20y1szt1 said:
Welcome to the world of Foxes. You could probably find the original colour on the steerer or inside the bb tube as not many people go to the trouble of painting that part when doing a quick makeover.
Brilliant! - Why didn't I think of that? :facepalm:

Cheers n beers

Si

Re:

Definitely a 1991 and the forks are bent :( , sorry. They are a copy of the Tange Big Fork made from MF Cro-mo, not especially light but pretty tough and well worth checking the frame for any further damage.
It looks like someone has ground off the rear canti hanger on the wishbone too? This is the only way to tell the difference between Courier Mega and Seeker/Sorcerer frames (they are cheaper/weedier on the Courier Mega, the Seeker and Sorcerer are the same). The base model Mega was the Courier with the Seeker, then Sorcerer.
I would go for Seeker colours, but you will need new forks. This needn't be too hard as they will happily take a short travel sus fork without a problem so an RS Mag will fit nicely with the Seeker Paint and can be had fairly cheaply.

Carl.

Re: Re:

Thanks for the feedback Carl. I have never noticed the forks and have ridden the bike for 15 years but now you mention it, they do look pushed back :facepalm:

I have a Giant Anthem X3 full sus bike so not desperate to add front suspension if fixing/replacing the original forks is possible as this only gets light off-road use. What are the chances of straightening them with gentle force and some heat?

The rear canti hanger is still in place (hidden between the mudguard and reflector brackets) and is quite short, so coupled with the seat stay joining the seat tube above the top tube makes me think it is a 1991 frame.

I agree that the Seeker colour is nice (and the Sorcerer cannot be replicated), but Google has failed to reveal the paint code thus far, hence the posting here. If the colour code cannot be traced, then it might be that this MF stays "modified" and either gets a new coat of orange and stays loud or goes a quieter silver or silver/black. At least that would save buying a retro groupset.

Cheers n beers

Si

Attachments

• Rear hanger3.jpg
    Rear hanger3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 928
Re: Re:

HPmuirt":1br11i58 said:
Thanks for the feedback Carl. I have never noticed the forks and have ridden the bike for 15 years but now you mention it, they do look pushed back :facepalm:

I have a Giant Anthem X3 full sus bike so not desperate to add front suspension if fixing/replacing the original forks is possible as this only gets light off-road use. What are the chances of straightening them with gentle force and some heat?

The rear canti hanger is still in place (hidden between the mudguard and reflector brackets) and is quite short, so coupled with the seat stay joining the seat tube above the top tube makes me think it is a 1991 frame.

I agree that the Seeker colour is nice (and the Sorcerer cannot be replicated), but Google has failed to reveal the paint code thus far, hence the posting here. If the colour code cannot be traced, then it might be that this MF stays "modified" and either gets a new coat of orange and stays loud or goes a quieter silver or silver/black. At least that would save buying a retro groupset.

Cheers n beers

Si

The good news is that is a seeker or sorcerer hanger.

Carl

Re:

I had my old sorcerer enamelled black and they detailed the paw print in gold had intended back then to build up with 94 LX though i never got around to it as i later went and bought a British Eagle Pro Carbon (Alan) sold the frame a few years back advert in local paper so never did get to see it made up but imagine it would look sweet.

Back