90's Raleigh Amazon

CezarB

Old School Hero
Hey guys,

I just joined the forum, love the bikes on here!! My story is a little bit different though as my budget is £0. I have no job = no money. The only little income is from photography (Start up Portraiture and Fashion Photographer) and I live with my parents.

Everything you see here has been donated, rescued or found (sounds dodgy I know)

This is my everyday ride, it's far from original but with my lack of budget I'm happy to have anything and after a couple of months of gathering bits I have a complete, mechanically sorted and comfy bike. Though it would be quite fun to have as much original parts as possible this will do for now :p .

**Frame**
Raleigh Amazon - Got it from my girlfriends Uncle who bought it new in early 90's (Frame says '82'??) A bit tatty, a bit rusted and with a hilarious paint-job (what were they thinking????)

**Wheels**
Front- Came with my ladies Amazon frame. No idea what model or brand but in really good condition.

Rear- Given to me from Halfords when I worked there, someone gave it in for a service and never collected.
Hub - Shimano FH-RM40-8 + Shimano quick release
Spokes - Stainless steel ?
Rim - Sun MC18
Sram 7 Speed cassette with a 3mm spacer on a 8speed hub

**Drive**
Shimano Hyper-Drive C crank-set (Came on the womens Amazon I've been given)
Shimano Altus BB mounted Front mech (same as above)
Shimano Sealed BB unit (same as above)
Shimano 100GS ( Original that came on this frame when new but with a jokey wheel from a 2012 Tourney)
KMC chain

**Brakes**
Front - Clarks V brake
Rear - Tektro V brake (From a DiamondBack Outlook MTB I found ditched. Missing bits and in a state)

**Handlebar*
Original Stem
Original Headset
Bikehut Handle bars
Shimano Dual Shifters (from a Green Muddyfox that was given in at work for scrap)
Boardman Lock-on Grips (were dirty and customer wanted his replaced so I got the left overs)

**Other**
Raleight Quick release seat post
Original Seatpost
Bikehut Comfort Seat
Pedals are smooth and sturdy - not sure about the make or model

I know this is way below the usual standard but the spirit is to enjoy our bikes right? :LOL:

Needless to say if you have any unwanted bikes and/or bits in the Bristol area I'm happy to collect, whatever the condition :cool: :cool: :cool:

Attachments

• small1.jpg
    small1.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 2,420
  • small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 2,425
  • small3.jpg
    small3.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2,419
I remember one of my mates having one of these BITD and I had my Raleigh Alaska. Just remember them being heavy as hell compared to my Alu framed bikes later in life!

I had an Amazon when I was at school. I have to say, I thought paint job was actually really nice! It's defo not below any standard. Ok, the Amazon was a budget bike and was hardly a dyna tec or an M Trax. But that being said it was a cromoly frame and not a cheap Hi Tensile. They were well built, the finish was very good quality and for the money they were actually a nice bike to ride. Plus it was made in the good old uk.
Thing we must all remember is, we don't buy a retro bike because of it's spec or status. We get one because they are an emotional purchase. As in we see one and think "wow I remember them! I'd so love one now". Therefore beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me the Amazon is a beauty :)

Thanks for your replies, and yeah of course I know it's not a great spec bike but actually as it is currently set up is super comfortable to ride and gets me places. I can't afford buses or to take my driving test (not mentioning insurance at 19) so this is what gets me everywhere.

It is a mix and match of parts as my budget is non existent I'm happy to make use of anything I get given :)

My idea is to enjoy what I've got and this bike is amazing!

Re:

Tell ya what, considering you've got a budget of zero I think you've done really well there to put that together. Have you done all the mechanical work yourself?

Re: Re:

alans27":3uuoy7y1 said:
Tell ya what, considering you've got a budget of zero I think you've done really well there to put that together. Have you done all the mechanical work yourself?

Thank you! Yep, I do all the work on it with tips from my mate who worked as a cycle mechanic for longer than I have myself!

I've done some work on the bike since my last post.
-Fitted more comfortable handlebars off of a Giant Sedona,
-Different quick release at the back as the previous was weak(?) and the wheel would slip under sudden hard pedaling,
-New tires, Michelin Country Rock(1.75) for the front and Kenda(1.95) on the back,
-Original Raleigh Rear reflector arm/mount,
-Different seat post which doesn't slowly slide down,
-Fixed the broken spoke in the back and trued the wheel, Which means I have a sweet rear brake,
-Took an ugly 'freewheel protector' off,
-Metal polished cranks, handlebar, rear and front mech,
-Gave the bike a T-cut,

Next on the list is changing the rear tire as one scrap bike came with a 1.75 Schwalbe, should be a little smoother to ride on the streets than my current rear. New grips as my white Boardman pair are horrible and then...? Whatever I find!!

Will post photos tomorrow as I want to capture that post Tcut shine! I was so surprised how a bland, hazed frame can come out so shinny.

Re:

I wouldn't go too mad with t cut as I imagine the paintwork will probably have a laquer top coat. I could be wrong mind you but that's what I assume to be the case. Simple car polish would be better for it . That or t cut metallic which is more gentle.

Re: Re:

alans27":2afvea4t said:
I wouldn't go too mad with t cut as I imagine the paintwork will probably have a laquer top coat. I could be wrong mind you but that's what I assume to be the case. Simple car polish would be better for it . That or t cut metallic which is more gentle.

Don't worry I didn't go too mad, the paint on the frame is very tatty so the only thing that will really sort it is a full re-spray.

Edit: Photos added

Attachments

• IMG_9547.jpg
    IMG_9547.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 2,228
  • IMG_9550.jpg
    IMG_9550.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 2,226
  • IMG_9552.jpg
    IMG_9552.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2,225
  • IMG_9554.jpg
    IMG_9554.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,222
  • IMG_9556.jpg
    IMG_9556.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2,226
Re:

I brought a £10 1998 Raleigh Cobra recently as it was the first mountain bike I owned and wanted another one for personal nostalgia reasons. I can look and ride the Cobra and remember my childhood :) it gave me independence, freedom to explore etc.

Loving the Amazon!

:)

A small observation though...

The rear QR skewer is the wrong way around (release levers should be on the non drive side)

Back