New old toys - Midlife crisis?

How-J

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

Relatively new on here so thought I'd add a couple of pics of some of my bikes, the ones the Mrs knows about ;)
Going through something of a midlife crisis; my friends are all off buying old sportscars but I can't stretch to that plus bikes are a good bit cheaper and easier to fix. This formed part of the appeasement speech...

Anyway, since losing both my 95 Cindercone and 91 Giant Cadex to folk who will one day have karma retribution I've always hankered after the "old ways".
I've been through a fair few modern frames, of which I still have two but seeing as they're both post 97 I won't discuss here ;)

For now its all about the Kilauea and the Rockhopper. No idea what year the Rockhopper is, '93/'94/'95 maybe? All seems original enough although I put the V's on as my old Ritchey Cantis were never the best. Have since swapped the Quadras for the Ritchey rigid forks (black) too.
Kilauea is new to me, bought recently a one owner from new original (except brakes and saddle) bike. I've the tyres too somewhere, but for now I'm just getting to grips with the mahoosive stem and the interesting slow speed steering...
Not massively keen on that year's paintjob, but its in such great condition and I missed out on my dream '94 Explosif frame so a good second ;)

Anyway enough rambling. Off out to scare myself again!

Laters

Howie

Attachments

• rockhopper.jpg
    rockhopper.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 721
  • kilauea.jpg
    kilauea.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 721
Re:

That Kilauea is lovely! I'm a big fan of the 93's so that one is right up my street :D

Hi there,

Thanks fella I always preferred the turquoise of my 95 Cindercone but I'm sure it'll grow on me heh!
I've got some Onza HO ti pedals somewhere in the shed, which can go on it too to replace the temp V8s.
Can't remember which colour elastomer was which though?
Also my old flexstem if I can find the "flex" bit (used it to make something else for uni years ago)

Will take it along to Glentress if I get a chance and can put up with the verbal from the guys...

Have to say I'm loving all the old bikes on here, I've even rooted out my old MBUKs and MTB Pros much to the wife's disgust...
Cheers

Howie

I just purchased a 1994 kona Kilauea ..loving it,takes me back to my youth..Now looking for something for the wife..

There is a Macretro clan gathering at Glentress this Sunday.....

Details in the Macretro section!

I ride with a good mix of people. Except for the few "fast guys" I ride with I can still school most people on a rigid 1991 rocky mountain. The fast guys? Forget it, I need my bike to keep up to them. At least on that one I can keep them in my sights. Both are fun for different reasons, but the old bikes sure can climb a whole lot better than new bikes, except maybe XC 29ers.

Back