1997 Kona Hot Stars n Bars

Skynet

Senior Retro Guru
14340913939_a8b27b4bc7_c.jpg

I bought 3 frames early in the year, 2 Kleins for me and this, a 18" '97 Kona Hot Stars and Bars as it's my brothers favourite bike/paint scheme. As I'm waiting for parts to arrive for my Adroit I thought I may as well get my finger out and get this built too before summer's over.

The eBay photo's didn't look too promising so I put in a low'ish offer and it was accepted. When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised, apart from the chain suck the other areas turned out to be mainly tape, not sure why and it had turned to concrete but did come off. So just the back end needs painting. Thinking get it built and ridden and sort that out over the winter.

From what I've read it was built in ’96 and the goats embossed on the rear dropouts indicates it was built by Altitude Cycles Chico, CA, part of Mountain Goat Cycles. They were painted by Velographics in Bellingham.

I do have M950 parts but, having looked through pics, I think it's much better suited to silver. As it will be as much a rider as it is a garage queen, I had thought about modern but retro looking. 1x10 with current Shadow+ rear meach & Middleburn RS7. Wheels, White Industries polished hubs on Mavic 717/719's. Ritchey Classic bars and stem and Thomson Elite seatpost. I could go period correct M739 but with a different chainset (739 is ugly). Need to decide this week, any thoughts chime in.

My Wanted List

Couple of the sellers pics, nice use of cigarette pack:

Attachments

• Kona_05.JPG
    Kona_05.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,004
  • Kona_01.JPG
    Kona_01.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 2,004
Re: '97 Kona Hot Stars n Bars

Ah, I remember this one. The tape was a mystery, I assume that's what's on the seat-tube below the top of the rear triangle. What's the serial number out of interest?

Quality frame - very much looking forward to seeing this built up!

Re:

Yep, liberally applied and a pain to remove, wasn't sticky but solid.

The frame number's H09611049

Spent more time spec'ing it up than doing anything with it, keep flipping between period and modern.

As long as she's ridden and doesn't look like a dogs dinner, go with what you want ;-) I agree silver is better for this. If it were the rasta flames, I'd say stick on XTR.

Re:

Lovely frame!!!

Still waiting to get my hands on a 19" frame.

Look forward to your build.

Re:

For me, it's all about Retro Frame & Bits, with modern running gear. Got to watch out for the 'dogs dinner' result though!

:D Breath taking mate..beautiful.. :cool: . :facepalm: still looking as per my signature.. :facepalm:
Nice one ;)

Ernie ;)

:LOL: I wonder how many people have pm'd you trying to mither this off you so far.

Tis nice btw

M95* going to look classy :cool:

Latest posts

Back