Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:20 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Voodoo Bizango frame arrived today, fairly pleased with it.

Going to be a retro build in style rather than substance I think, always liked the look of a classic white steel (Joe Murray...) hardtail.

Got some Kooka cranks and a Chris King headset in custom colours on the way, the rest of the bits will come from my previous Kona.

Hopefully should turn out a nice looking build, I just have to be patient waiting for the bits to arrive...

Attachments:
IMG_0449-2.jpg
IMG_0449-2.jpg [ 99.29 KiB | Viewed 1606 times ]

Last edited by AndyMc on Mon May 26, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 am 
Old School Grand Master

I love all Voodoo's...........hope you enjoy yours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 am 
Dirt Disciple

Also love the Voodoo's great well balanced ride. Will enjoy watching this being built, in fact Im tempted to order a frame myself :shock:

Looks damn good in white as well, the orange frame I saw didn't do it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:31 am 
Dirt Disciple

did you get that from a Taiwanese eBay seller? I did - mine is orange not white, which I would have preferred but they only had 18"s in orange, ho hum. Built mine up, its a super nice ride - the geometry is not in line with the current long On One/Pipedream/etc fashion, with shorter TT and a longer HT. I reckon it benefits from a lean build rather than some the heavy kit you see some hardtails built with as the geometry gives a twitchy, attacking ride - that said there's no bling on mine (mostly generic OE stuff off my previous bike) plus heavy 636 spds and its still "light". An ace frame :)

NB: you will want to get the BB threads chased (+ facing if using the devils own BB system) and headtube could do with a quick face too if using a nice headset, as this hadn't been done on mine in the factory :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

very tempted at that price.. and it seems they also sell PVC catsuits as well :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Yep, I like that a lot.

What travel fork is it designed for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:35 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I would put a 100mm on it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Yeah, thats the one- the thai shop that sells Voodoo frames and peep hole bras... a natural combination :wink:

Only worked out £200 ish which I thought was pretty reasonable.
Chris King headset turned up today in red, orange and gold which should look fairly nice.

Will see what the threads are like when I try and fit the BB. They looked ok last night but I only had a quick look.

It's designed for a 100mm form, apparently. I have some Pace RC36s that will go just fine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

if you do beware 2 things: Parcel Farce will charge £13.50 on top of the customs duty (was £8.61), for covering these costs at the point of entrance to the UK - scamtastic, bet they were rubbing their collective paws when they dreamt this one up :( - and you will need to get the BB threads chased (and headtube/BB faced if you're using a quality headset/x-type BB) which cost me £25 in all (I'm not on first name/haggling terms with bike shop who did this - Saddleworth Cyclery - v good service). The frames actual cost to me was circa £295 near as dammit and in hindsight I would rather have bought from Sideways Cycles for £310 (inc. post; would they have chased/faced f.o.c.?) and given them my money; live and learn, I was caught out by the duty, Parcel Force charges and frame prep. which I will have to chalk up to experience. That all said, J Intimates have dropped the BIN price for the orange frames - d'oh! - to $404.95(I paid $449.99 + $39.99 delivery) so that will save you approx £25 at todays exchange rate over the white one.

In summary, these are very nice frames at a very good price, but there are one or two costs that may or may not be a problem and it is cheaper than anywhere in the UK. Also the seller is sound and is quite helpful in their emails. Furthermore, Voodoo have assured me that the 3 year warranty is valid (something else I didn't consider before I clicked) :D Hope that helps.

Last edited by Sam R on Wed May 07, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Little Bob wrote:
What travel fork is it designed for?

470mm axle-crown/100mm travel - I got some Reba forks which compliment the light frame design though Marzocchi XC500 would hark back to the Murray-Kona era 8)

geometry here: http://www.voodoocycles.net/08_bizango.htm

with regard to the BB threads - the shell had not been chased after the shell had been punched for the tube ends resulting in little rough flanges fouling the threads - not immediately noticable but there if you look. Yours may have been chased :?