Lord fowl's 1991 GT Zaskar

Lord_fowl

Retro Guru
Here's a 1991 GT Zaskar i bought earlier this year and have slowly been buying parts for and giving it a rough polish just to clean it up and i finally FINALLY learned how to post pictures. there will be more build threads by me but here is the for sale ad that started it all:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=285659&hilit=gt+zasker
Because it was a well used frame in rough shape i have decided right from the start that it will get mostly good used parts as NOS would look weird on it though there is some NOS already purchased for it, important items like headset and bottom bracket.
ok time to add the first picture

a quick lazy polishing using old socks and paper towel and 20+ year old autosol makes it look like this

heres some chainsuck damage didnt try to fix it

and a shot to try and show the old and the new

an out of focus cell phone photo to try and show the shine
and it does shine even wife said so

and the other side

More to come later

Re:

looking good from what i can tell, seems to be in really nice condition for a 23 year old.... i'd invest in a better camera if i were you though ;)

sean

Re:

Hi Sean
Good to hear from you, nice zaskars you have btw been following your build threads as well, of course I'm going to get my own new camera but then it ll be another two years until I learn to transfer the photos from the camera to the CPU so don't say I didn't warn you :D
Yesterday I had the HS installed on the frame and gt 1x1 fork no issues except that it's original ritchey cable stop doesn't come out far enough and rests on the top HS cup so that it sits enevenly. Have a silver Paul's funky munkey to remedy this.
After that I tried to install the un 7x cartridge BB that a monkey could install? Yeah right I failed that... Seems the outer threads on the bb shell are well worn down so when I tried to screw the non drive side cup in the threads did not mesh right away and I got scared that I'd strip the threads so I stopped. Going to try a cup and cone model next hopefully the spindle will interfere less with the cup and let me push the cup onto the bb shell's threads easier. Have to be very careful here could be disastrous if I don't :oops:
Will try to get some more photos posted tonight. Soon I'll be asking for help with replacing the forks adjustable dropout adjusters which are badly rusted.
Cheers all
LF

Re:

You plug the camera into the pc with the usb lead, turn it on, if its a new camera the computer will install the driver automatically, you click on my computer and the folder with your pics in will be there... Presto! ;)

Is it the threads on the frame that's worn? You can get them rechased quite easilly depending on how bad it is, there's plenty push fit bb's out there also.

Are the fork adjusters just long m2 bolts with springs under them? Might be able to get some from a diy store that'll work. There's intrincycle on here that I think could machine replica adjusters for you.

Hope that helps? But As always, pictures would be useful :)

Cheers, Sean

Re:

i wanna see the other bike you had with you that you got the new stem for from me! ;)

whenever we meet up next, just bring whatever you need pictures of and i'll take them and upload for you! :LOL: ;)

Re:

Hi,

congratulations to a nice frame! 91 Zaskars are always Special, as this is the first model year they are built. Production startet in Septemer 90.

Nice that you have the original fork!

You should be able to buy screws like this at your local bike store.

ausfallende2.JPG

Re: Re:

Rahbari":2as8t0qz said:
Hi,

congratulations to a nice frame! 91 Zaskars are always Special, as this is the first model year they are built. Production startet in Septemer 90.

Nice that you have the original fork!

You should be able to buy screws like this at your local bike store.

ausfallende2.JPG

I should have some if you need them...

What's the colour scheme? Black or something retro cool like blue or purple?

Re:

Another update
here is three photos to show the sad state of the bottombracket shell: first 3mm of threads noticeably down especially to the touch but still working so dodged a bullet there.

Also had a problem with my xt thumb shifters having a stripped thread in the bar clamp so maybe a mixed suntour /shimano build? No problem i just recently scored an almost completer suntour xc pro gruopset.
Since my last post here i have been fiddling with the bottom bracket and mulling over the component group but the bike is dictating to me what it wants. Cartridge BB UN 71 -122.5 mm was what i wanted to fit a set of Ritchey Logic cranks to but could not get the non drive side cup in. it may be an Italian thread in there but it would not work. switched to a NOS m730 cup and cone model and was able to fit the crank but the clearance to the chainstays was way to close for my liking so out that goes and in goes this one.

here's the third BB i ve tried: a 125mm suntour greaseguard model. fits well and with a good amount of clearance from the chainstays

here's a photo of the 125 suntour BB with the ritchey logic crankset not too bad but still too close for my liking the gap is only about 5mm though it may seem fine in the photo

so after all that i have decided to go with the suntour/shimano mix as the shifters work well with with the rear freewheel ringle hubs and actually click in index mode. right now i would only need suntour pedals front mech front brake and dia comp rear u brake. just the mech and pedals i do not have but the suntour kit i have is badly rusted and will go into the "to paint" pile unless there are brakes im not aware of in my brake parts beer mug

heres some photos of the bike as it is currently and when i was going to go shimano m732

Back