Unknown GT project - I know its not a Zaskar!

3stonesteve

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of help to pin the year/spec of this GT I picked up off a mate? If anyone can help identify the year and/or spec, I'd be most grateful!

Unfortunately, it's had all the name decals removed, all that's left are the frame size - 18" and the alloy 7000 series stickers. It's brushed ally finish with a curved top tube end-cap (so not a Zaskar) and has 7005 stamped inside both rear dropouts. The frame number on the bottom of the BB shell is M01903517, BB is 68mm width and it doesn't have the inbuilt canti-brake noodle/guide around the seatpost like some similar frames do.

The wheels have Matrix rims and may be original, the rear has a 7-speed short free-hub although the rear dropout spacing is 135mm.

Not sure about the Manitou Xvert2 fork, weather it's original or not - not had much to do with them yet, although this one seems to work okay but I've not really tested ridden it yet due to it having drivetrain issues when I first got it.

2014-06-02+13.15.17.jpg

2014-06-02+13.15.36.jpg

2014-06-02+13.16.04.jpg

2014-06-02+13.16.48.jpg

2014-06-02+13.16.23.jpg

Not sure yet if it's going to be period or retro-modern build... Thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Steve

Pretty shure it's a Backwoods, the 7005 sticker point to 1997 onward date!

That's my guess.

Bomb proof frame, I had one BITD.

Re:

Could be an avalanche as well or maybe even a pantera, 96-98 :? Whatever it is it'll build into a decent bike... A baby zaskar if you like. Interested to see what you do with it

Sean

Thanks guys, I came up with pretty much the same when researching the frame style:

1996 Avalanche or Backwoods
1997 Avalanche or Backwoods
1998 Backwoods or Tempest

All were available as either polished or ball-burnished silver finish depending on which model/year combo you got. Apparently the type of single bolt rear mech hanger dates it as 1996 onwards.

What is clear is that the wheels, shifters, chainset etc are not original as it should probably have Mavic rims and 8 speed STX or similar.

For now I've replaced the plastic Tourney rear mech it came with for a Deore LX on the proper GT mech hanger and swapped the worn bottom bracket for a new cartridge one. I'll strip it and give it a good clean first then strip the decals and get some GT ones one there. It'll probably be a bit of a slow burner while I find parts. I'm thinking I'll keep the Manitous and build it up with 8 speed Deore LX to match the rear mech I already have. Gonna be on the lookout for some Mavic wheels now...

Re:

This is polished - Mmmm shiny....

zaskar4qbsx.jpg

So I guess mine is ball burnished, unless they did another type of brushed finish?

Updated - 199? 7005 GT - Spot the difference!

Well, I kept trying to think of what to do with this GT. It's a nice enough frame, light & stiff but I have no original bits for it and no desire to return it to original (I have other more interesting bikes for that).

Retro-modern would be one way to go, but again I already have a modern(ish) hardtail with hydro discs and a decent air sprung fork, so i got to thinking about a road weapon...

2014-07-20+12.55.18.jpg

before you say anything, that's just a quick & dirty mock-up! I have some newer style bars on their way to better accommodate the brifters. Just have to sort canti-hangers out now :?

Steve.

Back