1997 Cannondale M500 14" Killer V looks.

Chess

Retro Newbie
Just bought this can't find much info, stickered up as a M500 CAD2, but looks like a Killer V, sure you people people will be able to tell me more. Geometry looks all wrong and front end feels strange but I guess Rockshox Indy are the wrong shocks for it.

Re:

Move the saddle forward by 1 - 1.5" and replace the downhill bar with a straight one. The geometry will start to make sense then.
Maybe look for a slightly shorter stem if you feel that it's still too much of a stretch to reach the bars.

I'm no expert on Cannondales, but pretty sure that someone will be able to tell you exactly what it is/isn't.

Welcome to I'll-never-have-clean-fingernails-or-money-again.com

Re:

I have discovered it was built in Oct 1996, was sold in the 1997 catalogue, the Killer V look was common on several small Cannondale frames back then to give more stand over height. The stem is twice the length it should be, it should have flatter bars and solid forks which could explain the strange riding characteristics.

Re:

Yes chess, some of the smaller Cdale M series frames were of the Killer V design to allow stand over clearance for shorter riders.
Should have a rigid P bone aluminium fork up front.

Cannondale M500 What size frame?

What size frame do you think this is, I thought 16", a 14" was available?

Re:

I'm really not sure what to do with this now, its to small for me, I probably paid to much for it because it was unusual, maybe my best option is to break it. Ebay has already supplied me with a replacement retro bike, I now have a GT Outpost. :D

From memory that year of 'Dale was suspension corrected for 80mm forks so the Indys should be fine on it (although they never came as standard obviously)

As has already been said that stem is waaaayy too long and will make the handling all screwy - probably put on there to lengthen the cockpit for someone who bought a bike that was too small for them ;-)

Personally, given the size and colour I would put a shorter stem on it and re-market it as a womans bike - the colour is right for that as well :)

Re:

Depending on how much you want for it - and where you are - I could be tempted.

Back