1990 Muddyfox Pathfinder

So this should really jangle the jimmies of the purists but hey...

I just can't go past a bargain so despite having no use for it and no idea what I'd do with it, when I saw Peelywallysnr's classified listing for his 1990 Pathfinder and saw he was in Glasgow, I just had to have it.

This is how it was advertised,

ScreenShot2014-05-18at202750_zpsc8838ae7.png

Peelywallysnr was keeping the tyres and saddle though so it looked like this when I got it home,

photo1_zps3e1a558f.jpg

A bit of stripping of the broken/damaged stuff and it looked like this,

photo2_zpsae06018c.jpg

Main changes here are wheels (an Onza trials front and a fairly cheap cassette rear), tyres (Bonty Big Early up front but wouldn't fit in the rear so it's a Michelin City or something) and handlebars (stainless steel Triumph Bonny copies), but there's also been a new front canti semi fitted, and the brake levers have been stripped of their rather worse for wear rubber coating.

tumblr_n5xy25ZNTt1rganawo1_500.jpg

Here it's wearing a Deore V on the front along with an Avid lever to pull it, Deore HT2 cranks, a Superstar chainguide, an XT735 rear mech and a matching set of Cruds.

I got a set of cheap thumbies off here intending to use the rear one in friction mode but it still had kinda fine clicks when the switch was turned so I chose to use the left hand shifter to change the rear mech. It's pure friction so feels good and now anyone that tries to ride the bike will get confused! The rear canti fitted when I bought it seemed to be goosed so I ordered up a new LX canti, I swapped the levers out for a pair of Tektros with selectable cable pull so even though I'm running one V and one canti the levers match, a new chain was fitted but didn't mesh with the cassette Ihad on the wheel so I picked up a new cassette too and voila,

tumblr_n6ge20YiOe1rganawo1_500.jpg

Took it for it's first ride the other night and it's a hoot! I thought the slicks would be useless off road but stay seated and it grips pretty damn well.

I want to fit a rear rack but the wishbone stay is proving troublesome, the bars are 22.2mm all the way so are shimmed in the stem and something is slipping so they might need to go, I'll try some carbon paste first though, can do that if I ride it to work tomorrow.

Back