Klein Attitude(s) & Pulse

75Denver

Dirt Disciple
I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been wanting a site like this more in my local market (US) but it seems this is a more fitting place to post since we're all fans of vintage bikes.

Only recently (this year) did I get into Klein mtn bikes. I've wanted one since I was 13yrs old starring at them on my local bike shop showroom. I vividly remember constantly asking to ride the Rainforest Adroit but every time, the owner of the shop would respond, "keep dreaming kid". Finally after bugging him over and over, he let me ride a Candy Blue Attitude under the terms of "you wreck it, you buy it." It was probably the most nerve racking test ride I'd ever done since I barely had the money to buy a Trek at the time.

Fast forward many years, the Attitude I rode that day inspired me to get back into a hardtail…and what better bike than a Klein? So, after months and months of searching, I found a Pulse in perfect condition. Ideally, I should ride a 20-21" frame but I keep finding 22" (which isn't bad until I need to bail at the last minute :shock: ). My recent discovery showed up in my backyard. I bought it off the original owner stating it was a '96 Attitude. He got the bike as a warranty exchange after cracking the frame of a '91 Dolomite Attitude. Upon further inspection, I noticed it was a pre-'93 frame but painted with debossed decals, a later date "Klein" font, and the MC1 stem. It also came with a NOS rigid fork in the box! I'm thinking of pulling all the parts off my Pulse (XT 737) and putting them on the Attitude. I know this would make the parts incorrect for the frame but the guy bought and built it in '95….thoughts anyone??

As I said, 22" is a bit too big so I kept hunting. I found a '93 Attitude Moonrise in 20" and thought my hunt was over….until I opened the box only to discover that the "excellent condition" frame was not that at all. I really like the Moonrise but don't know what to do with it. I'm considering re-painting it due to the corrosion and sun fade but then again, it's not a total loss because it's still original paint and really cool. What do you guys think?? Keep it original? Sell it?? :cry: Repaint it?

Anyway, hope you all enjoy. I've been scrolling through SO many pages of awesome bikes/builds/parts!! This is a great site! Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3593.JPG
    IMG_3593.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 416
Yeah, the moonie is a bit rough, but seems ok for a rider. So it comes down to what you want out of a bike.

A repaint from Spectrum will cost around $1100-1300, I'm just guessing. Not sure what they charge for retail work. They have good spray masks to do the debossing. They did a few moonies for me back in the day and I was rather impressed.

Most of the parts off the Pulse will work on either Attitude, not necessarily correct, but they'll work fine. The BB spindle may not be correct on the Attitude, you'll need a 106mm to run those cranks. So, if you can find a tool set of a knowledgable shop to swap them over it should be fine.

Back