89 Saracen Kili Flyer Comp (fillet-brazed full prestige!)

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
Here's a little taster, work to be done...
DSC_2932_zps7ebbbcdf.jpg

Very very nice, was watching the auction but held off as wife would kill me if I got another bike.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

frame looks mint, cant wait to see it without mudguards and horrible brakes

chainset looks alot more worn than the rest?

Re:

Covered in crap...
DSC_2942_zpsed28b4d8.jpg

...bit less crap
DSC_2944_zps6d365ec5.jpg

Didn't have time to bring it back to original but I adjusted the stem for a more appropriate geometry.

First ride this morning... Oh my!! :D :D :D

xxnick1975":37gpdjcp said:
chainset looks alot more worn than the rest?

It's strange it's not worn much except for the cranks. My guess is the previous owner cycled with sticky-out feet and his heel rubbed with each rotation of the pedals.

Credit to him though, he kept all the original parts when he 'upgraded' and kept the bike incredible well looked after. Those are the original Farmer John's and he says it only went off road once when his son borrowed it. Looks to have had a fairly hefty crash at some point though, the saddle's twisted and there's a deep scratch on one bar-end. Luckily appears to have left the frame unscathed.

Rode it Home up our massive hill today and it climbed consummately. Never had a of this pedigree before and I now understand why people say they're special. It's not as light as I expected though, within a few years they had really managed to get the weight down.

It's part lugged and part fillet brazed. Exactly as in the catalogue pic except on mine the seat tube goes into a lug at the top. That lug itself is fillet brazed to the top tube and stays.

As far is I can find there's only one other on the web: on Facebook and the same one briefly on here. Rodrigues's did an incredible job but using a non-comp frame (hope you don't mind me mentioning mate!)

Anyone know how many might have been made and who would have built them? Presumably a UK frame-builder?

I was so tempted. Kind of regret it now but I would have to sell something first and didnt want to do that and miss out on this and be left with nil.

It has so much potential. I wouldnt worry about getting it exactly spec as per catalogue, just nice cantis and a much nicer stem.

Really nice. More photos as soon as please.

coomber":2b3rv401 said:
I was so tempted. Kind of regret it now but I would have to sell something first and didnt want to do that and miss out on this and be left with nil.

It has so much potential. I wouldnt worry about getting it exactly spec as per catalogue, just nice cantis and a much nicer stem.

Really nice. More photos as soon as please.

It came with the original levers/cantis and stem, so just need Joe to stick them on they we get to see this baby as nature intended!

Back