Does anyone own a Kona Score?

jupiter

Dirt Disciple
The bike I always really wanted, is it Retro enough for this forum, I don't really know, but I would love to see some owners pictures of one. I suppose it had a limited run in 2000 due to its price, but what a bike!

jupiter":2hialsno said:
The bike I always really wanted, is it Retro enough for this forum, I don't really know, but I would love to see some owners pictures of one. I suppose it had a limited run in 2000 due to its price, but what a bike!

Hi, I have one, but not built up yet. Here's a picture of the frame. I will add more when it's complete. I think it might count as retro if the King Kahuna does. According to the techs at Kona, there were between 50-75 of the Score made (he was guessing a bit), so even if it's not totally retro, it's certainly rare.

Attachments

• konascore2.jpg
    konascore2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 3,402
Heres my King Kahuna that I bought off here recently. Same gussets but there is also an aftermarket disk tab welded on.

Attachments

• kahuna.jpg
    kahuna.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3,387
jez-2-many-bikes":1n6uatps said:
Heres my King Kahuna that I bought off here recently. Same gussets but there is also an aftermarket disk tab welded on.

What a beauty! A '97. I have a 2000 in 18", being built up as a SS. What size is that frame?

Attachments

• konati.jpg
    konati.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,380
That Thrusty's old frame Jez? Got a close up of the disc tab? Looks OK at long range. The disc version of the KK (yr 2000 the last year of production) had two separate tabs for the disc mount and not one tab with two holes in but from what I can see it looks fine.

The KK is similar to the Score but more XC oriented and not quite as heavy duty.

The Score was Kona's titanium 'out of bounds' frame and whilst it shared the bi-ovalised downtube with the KK the gusseting was beefier and it had a round top tube not ovalised like the KK. It was only made for a year due to the prohibitively expensive costs of production. It's been rumoured that only a 100 were ever made... and I've got one of 'em, really clean example too, nary a blemish on her. :D

KP, is that the Score that recently sold on US ebay?

That's the one. Got it for 800, and nobody else bid. One of the techs at Kona estimated between 50 and 75 were produced before they pulled the plug. This one is in good shape, but not blemish-free. A little wear and tear on the decals (love the glow-in-the-dark), a few very minor scuffa and scratches and a small dent on the bottom of the BB. But it cleaned up nicely and will ride great. Got any pics of your Score? Would love to see them.

Nice!!!!!!!!! It's in top form. Sweet bike collection too. I love your KK as well. It's mint, and you have similar taste in components to my own. I will also have rigid ti forks on mine...and a mango CK headset to go with the orange in the decals. I am going to opt for a disc in the front though. I was reading what you wrote to Jez, but there are no rear disc mount tabs on the 2000, not mine anyway.

Yep, they did run tabs on the KK for the last line of production, you must've just missed out with yours :( .

Great frame the KK, since that picture was taken it's had a bit of a change, Avid Ultimate Black Ops brakes and levers, ti stem and stackers, titanium Black Sheep rigid forks (similar to P2's) Syncros ti seatpost with ti clamp and a Hope ti hub laced to a 517 ceramic (to match the rear which is laced to a White Industries ENO Eccentric hub). Am I overdoing the ti thing? ;) Nah.

The KK singlespeed is the only bike I ever use, over the last year and a half I've been out on the geared bike once and I ride twice a week average.

Gotta go now, she's giving me the Devil's eye! :shock:

Later fella.

Back