Inspired by haribo, 97 Heckler, evolution of a do-it-all FS

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I don't know if posting pics in Haribo's topic is considered thread hi-jacking but since I'm inspired by his thread here goes:

As built 98ish, altitude 2000+ meters:
Pace RC36, Onza Hola's & CWA's, USE, Azonic, NC17, Bontrager Ti, SRAM 9.0sl, Ritchey WCS hubs SUN CR-18s, Zero, H2O,
pbpic1995469.jpg

I melted! the brake pads on the downhill that followed that picture

First mild evolution with Bombers, WTB saddle, platform pedals and big Geax Sedona's, 2000ish.
pbpic1995453.jpg

A 130mm zero rise stem, is that proper retro or what?

I rode the Heckler switching between the above forms until 2003 when I converted to discs, in 2005 I finally refurbished the frame:
pbpic1995066.jpg

With Swinger 4-way, Revelation forks, Xmax Enduro's, XTR and Magura's:
pbpic1995071.jpg

Modern 4-way damper is a marked improvement, eliminates bobbing whilst remaining bump sensitive.
The longer forks reign in the original 71-73 head/seat angles to milder 70-72. See those nice Zero QR's?

I finally did score a set of decals, but arrival of a 6" Foes meant the Heckler assumed XC duties, and it acquited itself darn well:
Kitted out with RC40's, a 36-46 CX double, a skinny saddle and a set of Hope M4's
pbpic1995067.jpg

And finally last year I treated it to some Answer OS carbon bars and tried the I-beam system on it (both won me over BTW):
pbpic1995069.jpg

I just realised that the Ringle H20 and the Ritchey headset are enduring components remaining from the first '97 build.

With the recent arrival of a Lenz 29er XC rig I am toying with the idea to revert it to the original build, I still have most of the parts. But if I do it somehow I doubt it will be the last guise of my trusty Heckler,

The ultimate Do-It-All bike .....

Enjoy!! I sure do

thanks for sharing, very interesting to see the evolution of the bike over the years. where was the first pic taken? only hope mine will serve me as well and for as long! cheers, andrew

haribo":1qdo3r7r said:
where was the first pic taken?

The picture is taken at the horseshoe canyon up on Jebel Shams (Sun mountain) with it's 3000m the highest point of the Al Hajar mountain range in the Sultanate of Oman. The area is also refered to as "Jabal al Akhdar" i.e. the green mountains. Apparently the dirt road climb to the top has since been asphalted though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jebel_Shams

I was not into taking pictures of my bike back then, this is one of the very few images I have of the Heckler in it's original spec.
And with the occasional service, paint and a new set of bearings your heckler should give you many more years.

Enjoy!!

Latest posts

Back