Cats Wiskas the 2

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I found this frame for sale on this very web site completely by accident. I wasn't looking for another bike, I have no real need for another bike, but a Dave Lloyd Cats Wiskas laying around unused is a thing I cannot tolerate, and so.... here we go again. :facepalm:

I've pretty much blagged all the running gear from my DeKerf Mountain, plus added a pair of Project 2's that I already had. Long term plan is to change the P2's to suspension forks, Pace MXCD would be age related, but so would Manitou 4's or Marzocchi XC600's so, there is a bit to choose from.

The frame was made in 1995, so it fits in with just about all my other bikes.

Spec:

1995 Dave Lloyd Cats Wiskas frame.

Project 2 1" forks.

Headset, Ritchey Scuzy Logic.

Bars, stem and seatpost, RaceFace.

Saddle, Fizik somethingoranother.

F&R mech. Shimano XT.

Cranks, RaceFace Turbine with matching chainrings.

Pedals, Time ATAK.

Wheels, Shimano 105 hubs and Campag Kappa rims.

Brakes, Avid SD7 V's and SD2 (I think) levers.

Shifters, SRAM Atack, 3 x 9.

In it's rough, thrown together to see what it looks like form.

DSC_0052_zps611bb8d9.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsa2980c41.jpg

I had originally planned to built the Cats using Cane Creek Direct Curve brakes, which I like a lot, but the frame is made from Reynolds 653 and the rear stay are quite wide. This meant the DC's just would not work properly, so a set of SD7's were ordered, as these did the trick when I encountered similar problems with my Fuquay.

All done, I got to take it for a spin last night.

On the road this Cats is less compliant than both the others I have ridden, not a bone shaker, just a little more solid. I also got a slight sinking feeling and my legs were hurting on pretty easy roads, so once I got to the toll road I stopped and readjusted the seatpost.

The problem was of my own making, as the seatpost is a road type, retained on one side, and of course that was the side I had checked the tightness of before setting out.... DOH!

So, with the seat at the right height and the binder bolt now tight, I set off into the woods.

The gravel section was great, as the Cats is really well balanced and sure footed, but steers incredibly quickly without the slightest hint of washing out. The steep climbs were pretty straightforward stuff, although there is a tendency for the front end to go light... in common with most of the rest of my fleet. I do wonder if the weight of some suspension forks would tame this. As I recall, I had that same thought with my other Cats at the same point on the ride... deja vue deja vue deja vue......

I didn't manage to clean the very last steep climb, as I ran out of traction. I put this down to the Nobby Nics; I think they work brilliantly on certain bikes, and not very well on others. The switchbacks were a breeze, really very easy indeed. The tight left at the bottom of the long rocky climb was made more difficult by a rough looking bloke with two dogs. One was called Bella, and looked to be a Doberman cross, the other was on his lap with her arms around his neck... strange place for a bit of privacy... takes all sorts I guess.

The long rocky climb was still long and rocky, but really didn't feel as bad as it has in the past and was ridden two gears further down the cassette than normal. Without doubt some of this is due to my road riding, but steering and handling of the Cats did everything it could to make life easier.

Past the snake tree and onto the next gravel path... fast and precise, what hoot; then double back right and onto the fast rocky climb, and this is where I noticed just how much speed this bike carries... everywhere. I was over the cobbles and up the top of the climb in absolutely no time, we flew. Same on the bridleway and past the water tower and then into our first MUD!

Hot knives through butter come to mind, we just clattered through, carving a nice skinny groove through it all.

Again traction was lost on the tiny rough brutal climb, but we know the reason and next time out I'll have Panaracers on.

Down the long bridleway and again we just flew, through mud, puddles and over harder ground I was just able to carry fantastic speed.

The road section to the golf course was all ridden in longer gears than normal, as was the rocky path around the back of the golf course; even here I was able to just carry speed the whole time.

I passed a couple of well dodgy looking blokes at the entrance to the bridleway that leads to the old farm, perhaps they were picking up lost golf balls from the course... either that or it's a local dogging spot or something. Anyway, I belted past and down the rough path to and past the farm and at this point I turned right up the very steep tarmac road, as I saw little point in trying my hand on the rough alternative, given my traction issues.

The road ride home was very swift and the climb into the end of my road was a breeze and again completed further down the cassette than usual.

So, similarities and differences; between this Cats and the other two I have ridden.

Differences; it is not as compliant, I knew that before I set out, it is also not as delicate feeling. It is sharper steering, more like a road bike at times.

Similarities; It is nimble, very well balanced and it is fast and carries this speed with it.

Personality wise, I would say Ringo's Cats really encourages you to ride faster, my silver Cats is a bit of a nutter, it wants to do everything at flat out speeds and really doesn't care if you crash in the process, and this one is more solid and reliable, much more like my DOGS BOLX, but with a bit of a twinkle in its eye.

Oh and seat worked it's way down again, so maybe I need a 27.2mm seatpost!

DSCN0462_zpsa760da61.jpg

DSCN0464_zps28274b4c.jpg

Re:

Nice build Neil :cool:

Sounds like there's some dodgy things go on in your neck of the woods though :shock:
So , er , what's happening with the De Kerf then ? :roll:

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":hb64mulc said:
So , er , what's happening with the De Kerf then ? :roll:

Mike
Decommissioned and shortly to go up for sale as F&F&headset.

Re:

Hmmmmm

What size is it ?

No reason :roll: just curious , sort of :facepalm:

Mike

Re:

Well , I'm sure someone will like it :(

Note to self ;

Must get a british steel mtb sometime

About to ride home on rat , with a nice tailwind :cool:

Mike

Mike Muz 67":2cl63628 said:

Note to self ;

Mike

Somebody already does, and yes, you must.

I think a Cats Wiskas would really suit your style, but finding one to fit is a real challenge.

NeilM":20y9gsa3 said:
Mike Muz 67":20y9gsa3 said:

Note to self ;

Mike

Somebody already does, and yes, you must.

I think a Cats Wiskas would really suit your style, but finding one to fit is a real challenge.

Style ? Wasn't aware I had one :LOL: :LOL:

Would a Roberts suit maybe ? I saw a nice White Spider or Genesis one somewhere on here

Mike

Mike Muz 67":2cu3rs98 said:
Style ? Wasn't aware I had one :LOL: :LOL:

Would a Roberts suit maybe ? I saw a nice White Spider or Genesis one somewhere on here

Mike
As a roadie, you'd like the way the Cats rides.

The White Spider is quite different from the Genesis, but either would be a good choice, or for that matter a Dave Yates Diabolo, of which there are a few about, and which to my mind are highly underrated and a lot of fun to ride. You saw my BOLX at HONC (phnar phnar), again a really nice bike, but completely different in character to any of the others mentioned, then of course there are the likes of Bromwich, Zinn, Orbit / Sonic, Lee Cooper, Overbury's, Alves, the list goes on and on.

Take a look in the British Steel thread and feast your eyes.

Re:

Just gonna take a look mate ;)
So what's so different about bolx ? Stop sniggering at the back !

What did you think of the shifters ? Does the front have just three positions , or in between ones too ?
Just put some 8 speed XRays on my modern bike , felt good last night , out on the trails :cool:

Mike

Latest posts

Back