Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:50 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:30 pm 

Well that changed quickly - see post 3 to see what actually happened with this build ( so far )

Hi Guys

New boy here (hardly a boy really as I am 50 )

I was a really keen MTB rider a few decades ago but drifted away from cycling for some reason. A few years ago I bought myself a Specialized basic(ish) MTB and never really liked it so it got left in the back of the garage. My partner then decided she fancied a bike and we started riding on the local disused railway track paths - nice and easy, pretty and flat, very enjoyable on a Sunday - but I still didn't like the bike and it was even worse for pootling along on.

I looked around for bikes that I might fancy - nothing quite was what I wanted - or if it was close it was way out of my budget which is pretty modest.

I like steel, I fancied a lugged frame ideally, I wanted rigid forks, probably single speed ( something appeals and ideal for my use ) and I think I wanted 26" wheels ( not sure why actually ). I also have the problem that I am pretty short at around 5' 7" but have very stumpy legs - getting something that fits is tricky.

Anyway - I just bought this bare frame and forks off ebay and have thrown my Specialized wheels in to take a look and check the standover - spot on.

It's a 1994 Dawes Kickback pro - 16" frame, Reynolds 501 hand made lugged and brazed. It's a bit pink (and it now has a dink in the top tube ( thanks to UPS ). Today I have managed to loosen the siezed headset and get that apart but have just found what looks like a very dodgy BB thread on the LH side - I don't have a BB yet to see how it feels ( in the post ).

I will update this thread so you can laugh along as I buy all the tools I used to have again and work through all the problems and disasters. Hopefully at the end I will have a bike I threw together myself that suits me and my needs. ( ie toodling around and having fun on a bike I like )

Last edited by Track10 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:22 am 
Retro Guru

Hi. I'm a bit of a Dawes fan, so it's always good to see another one. I've had my '92 The Edge for over 20 years, and my wife and I have had a Discovery Twin tandem for about 6-7 years. Both bikes are excellent. Good luck with the build.

Regards

Marge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:25 pm 

Well it all changed

For a few reasons I decided not to use the first frame I bought but I managed to get a better one - a DawesOff Limits - I think 1992 ish ?

501 frame and 531 forks

Here it is bashed together with some temp parts on it so I could see if I liked it and I do. I am not 100% sure I have the gearing where I want it but I think its very close - maybe one tooth less on the rear.

Next I will start changing a few parts to match what I have in mind - first to change will be the stem - I have one in the post.

Attachment:
d1.jpg
d1.jpg [ 214 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Attachment:
d2.jpg
d2.jpg [ 203.12 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Attachment:
d3.jpg
d3.jpg [ 235.85 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]