1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mfhxgram

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Picked this up a while ago and it has been used as a rider and commuter since. Pretty much original spec including the groundcontrol tyres :D the finishing kit looks mainly original apart from the grips and seat bolt.

Its been well used. I believe the bike came from Idaho in the US and was used by an ex British Olypmic cycling team member (according to the owner) but no further info on that.

Its interesting in the fact that it is the U-Brake version and not the cantis in the catalogue. most of the images on the web are for the canti version as well :?

its been used and the paint is a bit patchy in places but the prestige frame looks in good shape

P1060456.jpg

P1060454.jpg

P1060453.jpg

P1060451.jpg

P1060450.jpg

P1060467.jpg

likely for a strip down a couple of original parts adding and leaving as that :D always loved these BITD

Re:

Nice find my good man :cool:

Pleased that I'm not the only one who has their brakes the RIGHT way around ! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1w2fe53h said:
Nice find my good man :cool:

Pleased that I'm not the only one who has their brakes the RIGHT way around ! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

A very American set up there :D

A few on here would love those tyres :cool:

Re:

The bike does look nicely understated :cool:

Never had a bike with U-Brakes , are they better than cantis ?

Mike

Re:

its not as good as my cantilevers on other bikes. But i like it for a bit of late 80's earlier 90's retro. really cant find another with the Ubrake of this era :?

Re:

Capture.jpg

catalogue shot....showing cantilevers :shock: not ubrake so not sure whats gone on with this one really strange

Re: U-Brakes

Very nice bike. I was under the impression Specialized stopped using U-Brakes after 1987. At least in the U.S. they did. Still a great bike.

Re:

yes its an odd one. I spotted one other 1900 stumpjumper with the U-brake. did they use the frames from the year below at all before going into full production. I think the year before may have had a u-brake on them. all the others ive spotted seem to have cantis so at least it makes this one a bit different even though the ubrakes arent great

:D

Back