Sbike Build - 806 / 808 - is this a 28"Frame ??

Woodyuk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi All

Been looking for a Alu Sbike Frame for a while ...then last week I stumbled across this one on Ebay for local Pick up under the title of "Alurad mit Verlicchi Alurahmen/Trekkingrad"

Won the bike and picked up a couple of days ago ... :D

I am thinking it is a SBIKE 708 / 709 ?

The bike was actually fitted with 28"Wheels with a 28"fork ( not sure if it is an actual Sbike fork but looks like one and the guy I bought it off said it came like that when he bought frame then he built it up)
The bike was actually quite nice to ride but not my style so bike is being stripped
I have some parts waiting for this Sbike ....Plan is to add a pair of original Alu Forks in silver / Spins / Atac stem and some XTR and maybe syncros or Ritchey cranks

Here are some photos of the bike as I got it last week

Attachments

• 2014-05-10_08h26_33_opt.png
    2014-05-10_08h26_33_opt.png
    59 KB · Views: 1,374
  • 2014-05-10_08h27_00_opt.png
    2014-05-10_08h27_00_opt.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,373
  • 2014-05-10_08h26_13_opt.png
    2014-05-10_08h26_13_opt.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,373
Re: Sbike Build - 708 / 709 ?

Woodyuk":1ltevtou said:
I am thinking it is a SBIKE 708 / 709 ?

You can only say it's a 7 hundred serie. The 2 other digits depends of the original build and particularly the groupset.
70x = Campagnolo
71x = Suntour
72x = Shimano
Then the 3rd digit represents the groupset hierarchy, i.e. :
729 = XTR
728 = XT
727 = DX
726 = LX
So, as this one was a custom buid with mixed parts, you can't realy name it.

Mine was originaly a 704, but the decals were bad and needed to be replaced, and as my plan was to build it with full M900, I sticked it as a 729.

Nice bike anyway, looking forward to see your build ! :D

Re:

Hi

Thanks Good to know ..
So this makes it easier as I have some SBike Decals and front decals but no number decals so will leave it without numbers :D

Re:

The 700 series all had a chainstay out of square alu tubes. What you have there is actually an 80x.
These were a bit of an exception in the Sbike number system, being Shimano-equipped but with an "0" in the number.
For the 7xx, 81x and 82x (by far the most common models) the x0x=Campy, x1x=Suntour, x2x=Shimano principle is used, but the 50x and the rarer 10x, 80x and 90x models were Shimano. They really like to make it difficult.

The 81x and 82x versions were full suspension, so it's definitely an 80x, not an 81x or 82x.
I have never seen an 809, so I assume that they simply didn't put XTR on this model. Anything up to XT will be correct though.

FYI here's the relevant page of the 1993 catalog :

1993-sbike95800.jpg

No need to think that it's a 103 based on the fork. That doesn't really look like an Sbike fork and wheel anyway, so I assume the entire front end was replaced for some reason. Either it was stripped down to the bare frame and rebuilt with leftover touring parts, or changed as the result of a crash. It looks wrong either way, an Sbike tourer. It's like converting a Ferrari F40 to a campervan.
The XT rear mech hints at an 806 or 808. If the front mech is LX or XT, that would be the decider. Based on the thin clamp around the seat tube, I'm guessing that it won't be XT.

As always with rigid and hardtail Sbikes, keep an eye on the bottom of the drive-side chainstay, right around the part where the tyre passes the stay. If they start to crack, 99% of the time that's where they'll do it.

As for the decals, Gil_m should have those on file. He has done decals for an 808 before.

Re: Sbike Build - 708 / 709 ?

Hi Raging_Bulls

Thanks for the Info ..
Bike came with a XT front mech but one with a band ...
Yep the bike felt a tad wierd riding due to the frame dimensions being different due to long fork but rode OK
But it is now stripped and has the Rare Alu 26" fork added to get that Ferrari F40 feeling back !!

Has anyone polished a Sbike Alu frame before ? I would just like to remove some faint scratches from the frame before rebuilding and was wondering what the best way to do this would be?

Re: Sbike Build - 806 / 808

Nice find! I love these disguised bike finds, I found a few very nice bikes with fenders, lamps and racks on the local adds.
It is like an extra layer of wrapping paper on a gift :)

Re:

Bike has been stripped down ..cranks are still on as I am having issues getting the pedals off as they have rusted on :facepalm: and the cranks are a nice set of Mavic Cranks I might use on the new build.
Stem and forks added just to see how it looks... headset will prob be changed to a XT or Onza Headset
Better quality photos to come when i get more time ....

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,246
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,246
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,245
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,244
Re:

An ATAC stem? No no no no NO !

:p

I have a purple-ish alu Sbike stem and an original Sbike handlebar to fit. Needs a new front bolt and the triangle inside the headset is missing too. As you can see, the paint on the stem is peeling off but it should polish up nice. Same with the handlebar, which is 538mm tip to tip (that's the correct length for one of those).

sbike_stem.jpg

Unless something extraordinary like a NOS Daytona frame comes along, I'm sticking to the steel Sbikes for now, so I have no use for this stem and bar.
PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail when I get a chance (no chance before 22/5 though).

Re:

Nice bikes the S-bikes! I saw in the brochure the 909 carbon has anyone seen that one in real life?? I think it is very rare (as i saw the price in those days....)

Re: Re:

dalecooper":2qgu88t1 said:
Nice bikes the S-bikes! I saw in the brochure the 909 carbon has anyone seen that one in real life?? I think it is very rare (as i saw the price in those days....)
About 2 years ago one popped up on ebay, but it was repainted and had hideous HED 3-spoke wheels. I didn't bid on it because I suspected that the repaint was done to cover up damage.
A French collector I know did bid on it and won. No idea on its current condition or whereabouts, but I assume it's still in his collection.

I also have the front section of a 909 carbon frame. Unfortunately I don't have the rear end or the shock, and those are impossible to find.

Maybe there are a few more in existence, but we won't know until they show up.

Back