1993 GT Karakoram

keithb

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Its was me.

I bought it.

I had too.
The vultures were circling and I had to save it.

Its ace. A little bit of wear and tear, but on the whole this bike is in stunning condition for its 21 years.
I intend to keep it completely stock, but I am going to mint it up. Full service, new cables, new brake blocks, new bearings, potentially new rims, new cassette/chain and ideally I want to replace the grips for new ones (anyone got any ideas on those?)
I'll swap out the tyres/store them away and run some modern semi slicks. The Quadras are coming off it and the supplied factory rigid forks will be going on.

:)

Re:

Sooo I've just started this project and it is already an absolute pleasure.
I stripped it to the bones and have now gone through all the comps giving everything a clean and polish (with a little paint touch up here and there).
New parts have been ordered and the wheels are being re-built because the rims were past it :)

Re: Re:

Barneyballbags":2p2evpij said:
What was wrong with the rims then? They were more or less unused I thought..!
The brake surfaces were very worn and both wheels had a bit of a wobble. The back wheel was slightly oval too :D.
So rather than spend money getting the old rims straight(ish) I'm spending a bit of cash making them new again.

Re: Re:

reindeer":3w15zegg said:

Nah they should be meaty flat like these (not mine).
13695773133_12462f03cb_c.jpg

Mine are very concaved.

Re:

92Araya3.jpg

1993 TM-18 -> side concave. I wouldn't throw them away, even if you are not going to use em. Was about to make the same mistake recently with my RM-17.

Back