Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project *Finished*

therealjaxon

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, guys - this is my current project which i just wanted to share and also create a thread so I can ask (beg ;)) for any help/parts I need :)

It may look fine already from the pic but its not as good as I want it,
Things to do:
Polish frame and apply new decals,
Source new saddle or recover,
Restore forks,
Needs new rims - braking surfaces are now concaved,
Onza bar ends and Gorilla booster to repaint,
Replacement XT crankset required as toe clips have worn grooves on both arms,
Also need to complete the XT groupset, parts req'd; Front canti brakes, headset, shifters+levers.

After this I'll then be happy! :LOL:
And then its onto the Kona ;)

Thanks for looking :)

Re: Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project

Looks a good project, she's an early one. What's the date stamp on it?

Regarding the rims, I cant make them out, are they campag? if so they have a concave face as standard.

Get some more pics up if you have any :cool:

Niall.

Re:

I actually have about 60 photo's - my wife looking at me bewildered while I took them :LOL:

Its a May '91 Zaskar which is exactly the year I wanted as its the same year as the one I owned back in 1992.
And yes, the rims are Campagnolo! So they are concaved already :shock: - didn't know that, I thought they were worn out after 20+ years of use!

Re:

The frame is very good - one mature owner from new and its had a fairly easy life by the looks of it, no dings or dents, scratches, chain suck etc.
Just like to give a "Big Thanks :D" to Gil who's going to sort me out all the necessary decals I need - without those these projects would only ever be half complete.

Re:

Actually, just found this on google search:

The idea behind the concave sidewalls was that it would prohibit the brake pad from arcing down into the spokes, but the reality was that a pad with a flat braking surface contacting a rim with a curved brake surface meant that adjustment wasn't easy and once adjusted, there was minimal contact between pad and rim that resulted in less than optimal brake performance.

'Less than optimal brake performance'?
:LOL: Yes, I can confirm....the brakes are shit.

Re: Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project

The brakes are poo because the forks are shite as they flex like mad. The original Bologna lite rigid forks would be better for everyday riding but some find a zaskar a harsh frame.

The mag 21 legs are quite fragile around the bolt area so inspect for cracks and stripped threads. It was common for them to be helicoiled back in the day under warranty. The brace is also prone to cracking but can still be found as it was used for most of the then range. My mag 21 looked like yours after about 6 months winter riding in 94.

Re: Re:

therealjaxon":2apqa035 said:
'Less than optimal brake performance'?
:LOL: Yes, I can confirm....the brakes are shit.

That right there is a quote im taking with me :LOL:

Back