1991 Tracker Mammoth RC201

paulswheels

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Latest find. Already broke down the Mammoth with donor parts bike (Ritchey) lurking in the shadows.

Going to take take 2 to make one.

So many directions to go with this one :facepalm: Actually no idea which way to go on it.

This will slow down my modern bike pursuit for the moment.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 1,496
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 1,496
Re: 1995 Ritchey Lite Beam/ 1990 Tracker Mammoth RC201

Do you know if that's the original fork on the Mammoth?

It looks very odd - almost like the dropouts were put on backwards.

Re:

The short plan is to break down the Ritchey for some of the kit, part with the remainder.
Same on the Mammoth, plus add some choice bits from the spares drawers. Just not sure on colour scheme. I am partial to the polished look, but it seems that all of the others I've seen are as well. Or just go buck wild with something crazy. Then do I stay rigid or put a RS up front? Many questions to be answered. Very open to any suggestions.

I am totally with you on the polishing thing. It looks great, but I would rather do something different.

I kinda like the look of it without paint, but not polished - it still has a shine to it. Or, I have a key lime green that I like. It feels like a "vintage" colour. Or, I could get it done professionally.

Tough decisions..

Re:

Agree on the polished look, nice but, maybe played too many times eventhough always come out looking very nice. . Already have a polished zaskar so... Strange bottom bracket on these bikes, fortunately mine is good enough to be used again. Getting the cables routed is not going to be a fun time though :cry: I remember my Klein was very stubborn as this one appears it will be as well.

Maybe since it is a 1990, just go crazy flourescent something, then does the fork need to match?

Re: Re:

paulswheels":2ron34u8 said:
Agree on the polished look, nice but, maybe played too many times eventhough always come out looking very nice. . Already have a polished zaskar so... Strange bottom bracket on these bikes, fortunately mine is good enough to be used again. Getting the cables routed is not going to be a fun time though :cry: I remember my Klein was very stubborn as this one appears it will be as well.

Maybe since it is a 1990, just go crazy flourescent something, then does the fork need to match?

I had a Klein once too, and yeah, cables are going to be an adventure.

I just noticed that yours doesn't have the roller for the rear brake. I would guess that makes it a year newer than mine?

I would favour a black stem, bar, and seatpost, and then paint the fork to match the frame.

Re:

Yes, no roller on mine. Any idea how to tell the year on these? Not sure how period correct I am going either. All parts will be 90s though, maybe not all early. Contemplating reaming the headset for 1 1/8". Canti's or linear? Leaning towards Hot orange with citron metal flake :LOL: Other than that it's only going to take some time and patience to get it right.

I've seen some of them with a date on the seat tube sticker.

I thought I had it figured out based on natural progression of parts; if the catalog scans on MOMBAT are from 1989 (based on every bike having U-brakes), then mine with cantis would be a 1990.

And yours has normal cable routing, so I'd think it's a '91.

However, I have an RC201 ad from MBA of September 1991, and it clearly has the roller.

So... I don't know.

Re:

Possibly came both ways for all of the years, another option even though slightly crazy. Like you said, who really knows? I've seen some pics of some with front suspension also.
I have a 1" RS that I might fit.

Back