1991 rocky mountain cirrus build

chillibiker

Retro Guru
Well I figured I might as well post my new project up here to see what you guys think and see if I can get some help with parts for the build from some locals.. before I over spend on ebay. :roll:
There are a few good and not so good about the bike
The good:
Original xt rear derailleur, xt shifter/brake levers, rear shimano xt brake, syncros bar and stem, xt head set.
The not so good is that the seat post clamp area has a crack from a smaller seat post size being put in and clamped on, braking the weld on one side. No biggie tho as I feel like I still got a good deal on the the bike and my brother is an aluminum fabricator and is familiar with working with 7000 series aluminum and how to weld and cure it properly for strength .

This is how the bike stands as I got it

Re: 1991 rocky mountain cirrus ( long term project)

Parts I need help with are front fork, cranks , front brake, 30.4 seat post and maybe some wheels altho i have some that i built up for another build i did not end up using that i will use for now let me know what you think

nice to see another Cirrus. it's been a while that anyone has posted up a build for one. registering for updates. ;)

If only I could get my hands on a properly sized one :)

Re:

Hey guys I know it's been a few years (having a baby will Put things on hold haha) I have decided to pull this one out of the closet and have a go at it. I have a couple of questions first on is the crazy long head tube. If I remember correctly this is a 20 inch frame but when I compare it to the other 20 inch bikes I have seen the head tube seem significantly larger. Any reason for this? I'm getting the crack on the seat clamp fixed this week I'll let you know how it goes but that leads to my second question with the re welding there will be a noticeable spot on the frame and with the finish not being that great to start I guess I should re finish it I just hate loosing the decals any one have some where I can get some new ones over here in Canada?

Great project, looking forward to updates. I had one which I rescued and passed on here, just wish it hadn't been too big for me or it would have been a keeper.

Re:

As far as the build goes it's going to be what ever I can find to make it rideable for now. I have a syncros stem and handle bar and will keep the xt shifters and derailleurs. I have a wheel set that will work. It does not have xt hubs but it's shimonoseki on the back and sealed baring on the front and they are from the right time frame. I don't have any cranks that are correct at the moment but I do have some nice cnc aluminum ones from later in the 90s called bonz crank. They were made in bc and look good so they will work for now. As far as the seat post I will probably have to go generic as funds are tight for side projects... Unless some one wants to donate one lol.

Back