Manitou FS - my next project

ti_pin_man

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Yep, having finished the Funk Yankee Build, I need another project. So this showed up yesterday from the good ole US of A:

I began the process of striping it back to the frame:

A lot of the parts it came with will be sold or binned once I work out the build I want.

Already decided on this little lot:
I have a choice of forks but will go with manitou 4's to match the rear end.
I have new decals from that nice man gil_m.
I have some white Onza tyres for photos.
I'm going to probably swap over the Tioga Disk drive from the Funk and put it here with a front silver ringle wheel. The funk has a pair of red Ringle wheels.
I have a silver answer hyperlite.
It has a blue king headset and blue ringle seatpost release.
It has the ringle seatpost.

To decide:
It came with a Answer ATAC stem but I think I'll source a Manitou stem.
I'll need some nice cranks/rings.
I'm not sure if I keep the XT front mech, depends if anybody has an XTR one.
The rear XTR mech looks ok but I'll test it first.
I need shifters and brake levers, it comes with XTR canti's. Hmmm some blue pauls might be the thing to have. tbc.

Any thoughts chaps?

Oh and yes the first thing thats going to happen is a search for cracks! If I find any its going to Frank the Welder! :D He's quoted me for a repair and not only repairs but also re-inforces things where its needed to make it rideable.

My unicorn stable continues to grow, I have 4 I always wanted and only one more in mind to look for. :shock:

Re:

Joe

Nice one, think that makes at least four Mani FS on the go at the moment (Yours, Unit3 / Giom6 and mine)
however I think yours in the only one with M4's F&R and being a later model I'd like to think the frame should be a little more sorted in regards to build (strength) quality

Whats the build date and serial number on yours, should be on the BB shell

looking forward to following this build.

Nick

Re:

Will be following this :)

I have started on mine again, but found I am missing the rear mech cable stop above drop out, going to be a problem to find I think :-(

What's the build date? I have been told after 94-95 they are less prone to cracking.

Niall.

P.s a FUNK is on my wanted list aswell!

Re: Re:

unit3":2fg5a9cj said:
Will be following this :)

I have started on mine again, but found I am missing the rear mech cable stop above drop out, going to be a problem to find I think :-(

I can whizz mine of and measure it up, as I'm sure Chris (Rampage) at Intrincycles could fabricate one easily
it is after-al only a nicely bent bit of metal

or put an add out, theres' enough busted up ones out there that people have kept the arse ends of that could be robbed.

Re:

the bottom bracket says:

Answer Products
Manitou FS950 298-
20-Jan-95 17

Any idea what the 950 , the 298 and the final 17 mean?

I think the tubing only improved when they moved to the top tub shock design. :LOL:

Re:

Hi Joe,

Sounds like a nice project you started up there. Love the FS-builds !

The 17 should be the size ! At least it works for both my FS and HT.

On the stem, I went for the Manitou. Looks clean and suits the build

Regarding the brakes you could concider set of Race-line Magura's
Esspecially when you want a rideble bike !
Or go for the blue HS22's to fit the colour in the forks and other bits.

Cheers
Jeroen

ti_pin_man":t0b85i55 said:
the bottom bracket says:

Answer Products
Manitou FS950 298-
20-Jan-95 17

Any idea what the 950 , the 298 and the final 17 mean?

I think the tubing only improved when they moved to the top tub shock design. :LOL:

Mines FS0671, which I've alway took as being the serial number FS= full suspension and 0671 being the unique frame number

as for the number after the date in your case "17" I was under the impression it was the size as mines a 20 inch frame (see below)

Attachments

• Born March 93.jpg
    Born March 93.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 644
Re:

I will double check mine tonight and pop it up, Im sure mine and Gio's are only a month apart on age date if memory serves.

I don't think mine will ever be more than a seafront show off, it's crack free and would like it to stay that way lol.

unit3":1q9a8iqo said:
it's crack free and would like it to stay that way lol.

I know the reputation of these frames and am sure when I clean it up I might find a little crack. Knowing this in advance, i contacted Frank the Welder in Vermont and asked his advice. He confirmed he repairs alu frames and then has them re heat treated in batches to bring them back to strength, he also will reinforce weak areas. this guy has a long history of being one of THE best bike welders in the world so I trust his word that it would be rideable. Price wise it isnt for the feint hearted, especially adding in shipping, but somethings are worth paying for and in my mind it wouold be if I find a crack. It'll be another few weeks before I get the chance to thoroughly check the frame over, life/work is a bit busy.

Latest posts

Back