Another Pace RC100 pops out the woodwork

CarrotCake

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I picked this up in 2010 with the intent to whip it into shape in a few months, but such as life other things have taken priority up until now.

Pace RC100 Project by Carrotcakesoul, on Flickr

I stumbled across the advert for it whist looking for a bike for a foreign colleague to ride whist staying in the UK. It was advertised as a frame and fork - so I was quietly surprised when then chap pulled out a frame/fork with Maguras and a Campag groupset etc hanging off it. The bike has had little use, but also appears to have had little maintenance.

The bike got stripped and all the original components meticulously cleaned up and stashed in boxes back in 2010. I've been gathering missing parts for the last few years and pretty much have everything to assemble it.

The frame is in good condition in terms of having no cracks or major dinks or dents, but the paint was in a pretty poor condition and pockets of light oxidation in a couple of places under the paint. I stripped the paint back to ensure the tube was not compromised and to stop any further issue.

My dilemma - do I go down the orthodox route and have the frame and fork refinished in the OE colour scheme, or go off piste and select a tasteful alternative colour? I've been mulling this decision over on and off for the last few months, but my little head comes to a different conclusion on a daily basis.

The frame is RC0250 for the geeks out there

I'll take some pictures of progress so far when I get a moment.

Registering interest :cool:

Nice to see a small'ish RC100, only ever seen one other 16" frame which this one looks like, most seem to be 18" and bigger.

Got to be original colour scheme for me, rideable 100's (not cracked) are getting rarer and rarer so gotta keep them faithful to their factory colours.

Oh and nice RC200F7 team in the background too ;)

Re:

i forgot about that.

how these things come around. I knew a chap that had a mate with that bike. Then five years later i bumped into it and offered to buy it. then he said no. then he said yes and i said no. now you own it.

:D

why not go for something different ?
Its a blank canvass go mad, get the felt tips and chubby wax crayons out !
You can always put it back to original if you desired .

Re:

The campag equipped RC100's were my favourite, great find...my Pace has undergone different paints from Yellow to Pink to now currently White.

Hard decision what to go for in your bike, Black's been done to death...would be cool to go off the wall with it, I always like anno paint....something like Gold anno would look nuts...but probably too expensive???

Good luck whatever you decide

Rich

Re:

Thanks for the input. I came to the same conclusion about colour on my way back home from work i.e. I can get it painted in OE colours in the future if I deviate. I've got a couple of contrasting colors in mind for the frame and the usual convention of matching colour cranks, RC30 and stem.
I've been on a OCD mission this eve removing paint from the usual suspect areas to check for death cracks before committing to any paintwork, all looks good at the moment.

Rich":2zaokee1 said:
What wheel build are you coming up with, Campag hubs and rims??

Nothing quite as exotic as that... Although I still have a penchant for Campag Atek and Stehno rims.

I've a pair of Mavic 231's laced to a early composite Pace RC-50 hubs. The rims are in good condition with little wear. I'm going to replace the cartridge bearings in the hubs and spend a little time over the weekend cleaning the wheels up.

Mavic 231 - Pace RC50 by Carrotcakesoul, on Flickr

Mavic 231 - Pace Rear by Carrotcakesoul, on Flickr

Back