Pro-Flex XP-X rebuild - worth starting?

mtbnut

Dirt Disciple
I've just got a Pro-Flex XP-X frame and was toying with stripping, repainting and rebuilding it

Can things like the elastomers still be obtained?
It's also fitted with Rock Shox Judy forks, how are spares for them?

Any advice much appreciated, even if it's 'skip it' :D

Re:

Yeah spares are available.

Nice frame might even be able to put a coil shock in it.

Forks same but its 1 1/8 headset so should be able to put a lot of forks in there. Imagine it would take a 100mm fork.

Re:

Thanks, that's reassuring
When you say 100mm fork, do you mean the steerer tube?
I notice most of the XP-X around have linkage forks - will the Judys mess-up the ride much?
I want to get this rideable, but not sure I can go for a 100% restore

I'll strip it down at the weekend - is there anything to look out for on these with regard to wear, damage etc.

Re:

No experience but they are relatively simple I believe. Wiggle the rear side to side see if bushings need replacing - shouldn't have much play or movement.

100mm travel forks. Means most up to about 2005. Lots of choice.

Build it with spares and have fun.

Re:

photo0296m.jpg

Built this from the ground up , started with the forks and that was it , Cane Creek wheels and brakes
changed rear swinging arm bearings to needle rolls and its a great bike to ride , even if the shocks do nock and bang , love it , rebuild and ride it , good luck :facepalm:

Re:

It's an excellent frame and pretty bomb proof. They can be built up very light for a full sus and make a great ride.
Make sure you clean and re-grease the main pivot bushes with Teflon based grease as auto multi purpose type grease rots the seals. And make sure you you don't pinch the x ring seals when you put the swing arm back on.
You can get a coil spring conversion on eBay for the shocks or elastomers. You can also get a rear disc adapter, it's all available.

Re:

Get rid of these plain bearings , on the rear swinging arm( hard to get hold of only from the USA ) and go needle roller bearings , stainless steel of course and no greasing :shock: the rear shock is so easy to service , just find you self a spring , have you tried iriders forum . Cheque the head set tube is not cracked top and bottom , early Animal frames did have a problem there !

Re:

Thanks again for the advice - have got a blaster and painter lined up, will start strip tomorrow afternoon if I get a chance.
Have started looking at components now, quite looking forward to the search

More pics to follow once I start the disassembly

Very nice, thanks for the pic - picking up a parts donor this evening hopefully, so can start properly tomorrow once Amazon have delivered my crank extractor and BB tool

The coil springs seem a popular swap, where's the best place to get the spring?

Does anyone do replacement decals/stickers for the frame?

Back