Mr.T's Gazelle

Mr.Toad

Senior Retro Guru
Always wanted one, some dreams do come true...

Attachments

• Boulder1.jpg
    Boulder1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,434
Re:

Thanks guys, i'm quite smitten with the bike. More pix below.

Here is a rundown of the current, and mostly original build (so I was told):

Frame: 1991 Boulder Defiant 26.6mm seat tube, 1 1/4" head tube #00051
Fork: Rock Shox Mag something...
Headset: King, no logo
Stem: Control Tech quill
Handlebar: Answer Taperlite, Onza bar ends
Seatpost: American Classic Ti
Shifters, F&R derailleurs: M900
Brakes: DiaComp 987
Cranks: Cooks RSR
BB: Not sure but appears to be ti
Wheels: Bullseye front, XT rear, Ritchey Vantage rims
Tires: some horribly heavy and ugly CST's.
Saddle: 1991 Flite
Current weight is 29lbs, this will change for the better I hope.

Attachments

• Boulder6.jpg
    Boulder6.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • Boulder 3.jpg
    Boulder 3.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 1,331
Re:

But just like most dreams there can be highs and unexpected lows....

Returned home yesterday with a big smile on my face, kissed and thanked the Wife for letting me buy yet another old bike then retreated down into my subterranean bike shrine, 30 seconds later "NOOOOOOO!!". Yes, #51 has a nasty seat tube crack that I somehow overlooked when I picked up the bike. Not that I wouldn't have bought it if I had noticed, but still...ergh.

Being a positive guy I just told myself that I will get it repaired and have the frame repainted, no big deal. Besides the paint is pretty beat up overall so it could use a fresh coat.

Reading though the owners manual they state most frames use the smaller (and sleeved) seat tube dia up until #200 when they switched to a larger 28.6. I plan to stick to the original smaller diameter.

Another interesting mention in the manual was the rear dropouts:

"The nominal spacing for the rear hub is 130mm on all frames through serial # 00040. Frames built after #00040 will be built for 135mm spacing unless specifically ordered for a different width."

Mine measures 143mm, huh? Special order I suppose.

This is going to be a fun project!

Attachments

• Boulder5.jpg
    Boulder5.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Boulder2.jpg
    Boulder2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,321
Re:

Great score, crack or no crack :cool: Look forward to seeing what you do with it :)

Re: Mr.T's Defiant

Crack makes the build process just longer. Good for us to enjoy this longer!

Re:

Cool bike :cool:
Hope that the crock could be repaired. Perhaps with a steel shim filled brazed in the seat tube…

Interested for looking picture of repair

Re:

Hoping to take the bike to my local framebuilder this week for a look. I'm thinking a warm smile, and a fine bottle of Bourbon could lighten the mood (he can be quite grumpy at times).

A couple more pictures posted showing the front end and rear cable routing. Fork is holding air and rebounding nicely, i'm hoping it will not require a rebuild. Mag 20?

I also took accurate measurements of the rear drop out spacing, 145mm, which I believe is spaced for a tandem hub. The rear hub is currently a M732 135mm, the drop outs were crimped together to make this hub fit. Not cool.

There is also a threaded part that was added as a fender mount on the rear swing arm. Seller stated that this was added by the original owner as a fender mount. I will have this removed when when I get the seat tube repaired.

Another pleasant surprise is the number of titanium bolts used on the bike.

Attachments

• B-tri.jpg
    B-tri.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,219
  • B-BB.jpg
    B-BB.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,219
  • RS1.jpg
    RS1.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 1,219
Back