Early 90's Wheeler 9900 - Strip or Flip?

thekidmalone

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi, I'm The Kid, and I have loved classic mountain bikes since they were state-of-the-art. Since then, I have been lucky enough to have bicycles as the center of my career, as well as a pasttime.

I recently purchased this Wheeler 9900 in nearly new condition, intending to strip it for parts for one of my ongoing restoration projects. However, it seems to be in such original and complete shape that it now seems a shame to do so.

With nearly complete XT spec (house brand headset and German KSS bottom bracket) and Easton Vari-Lite tubing, it must have been somebody's dream bike back in the day. If you are that somebody, and are relatively short of stature, please PM me with any interest before I decide to break out my tools and do the deed.

Enjoy the before (above) and after (below) pictures. Apologies for the missing bar end plugs and water bottle bolt, these have since been addressed. If only all of my projects were as easy as this one!

Thanks for your time and attention,
The Kid

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 971
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 970
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 969
i picked up a similar Wheeler Team 9900 but with XTR kit. i did the deed and split and flipped the frameset. i too toyed with keeping it intact, but in the end, it being too large, and me wanting the kit on another more appropriately sized frame won out easily.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102535

if it had been smaller sized like yours, and maybe colour as well, perhaps it would have been a little harder decision. :? nah, prob not! :oops:

Yeah, I read your Wheeler story during the week I was watching this bike in an on-line auction. At the time, I did not have a frame awaiting a transplant.

Now, I may have tracked down a perfect, similarly-sized, period-correct candidate for these parts. Barring a impassioned plea from a Wheeler devotee, this frameset will likely go on the market soon.

Latest posts

Back