1988 Brodie Climbmax Fillet Brazed

Re: Brodie

roy, you're killing me. :facepalm:

how many is that now? and the bigger question, how many more??? :LOL:

Re:

That's an interesting one Roy. It looks like an early fillet brazed Romax from the photo but what's going on with the cable guides? I can see a cable going to front mech but the cable stop on the down tube doesn't seem to be used.. The internal routing on the top tube is something I'd usually associate with the mid 90's range although the routing is very different to those. Also the cable guides on the rear stays are unusal - not slotted stops and anyway that routing was a bit later. And what going on with the rear brake routing? Has it had some mods or perhaps a custom build? Has the noodle been cut off?

I'm confused! :LOL:

Re:

Another sweet early(ish) Romax....ergh.

Correct me if i'm wrong but this frame looks very much like a early 88 or late 87. Another member here (paging JimN) has a somewhat similar frame with the internal routing, but only for the rear brake.

What's going on with the rear brake cable routing? Any more pics?

This is a super interesting frame. Is the stem a Ritchey?

So many questions......such a rad bike.

Re:

hi all
yes adrian, this is a very interesting example.
last year a brodie frame turned up which cast doubts on clearly identifying certain models
of brodie frames. I am refering to the tig welded romax jhoreth gave us the pleasure of seeing.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=244236&hilit=romax

up till then most of us, probably all of us, were under the impression all romax's were fillet
brazed. the sovereign was supposed to be the tig welded counterpart.

since this discovery it now appears the only true way of knowing what you have is to
have it confirmed thru pauls records. had jeff not checked and just went with the expresso
decals on the frame this jewel would have been lost to obscurity maybe forever. I'm not saying
everyone should email paul their serial numbers to be sure. he'd kill me if he found out I said
to do that. pretty sure 99% are legit as the decals state. but some of the earlier ones pre 1989
without decals may be suspect as to which models they are. if tig welded romax's exist then
why not fillet brazed sovereigns. or how about a fillet brazed climbmax?

according to paul what you see here is just such an animal. this is a 1988 fillet brazed climbmax.
it shares some of the characteristics available to the romax. such as the top tube internal cable routing
and the pump peg. these features were mostly found on the romax. but undoubtably could have
been ordered on other models as well.

this is one odd duck.
as noticed already the cable routing is a total mystery. looks like provision was made to run one
piece cable housing to rear derailleur. no idea how rear brake is to be cabled. no provision for a
brodie noodle at all. something else irregular is the fact that it's got bosses for cantilever brake.
all or most brodie frames at this time had u-brakes. there is also a single cable stop on the underside
of the down tube which isn't in use, and I have no idea how it could be utilized.

in my opinion this is an awesome find and an extremely welcome addition to my collection.
with some luck, at harald's show this may, paul brodie and mike truelove will both be there.
this frame will be one for discussion. if you've never heard of mike he was one of the original
brodie welders. good chance your frame was made by him and not paul. when paul was
busy doing everything else for the business who do you think was cranking out product.

here are a few pictures. what are your thoughts.

1988 Climbmax 010.JPG

Attachments

• 1988 Climbmax 001.JPG
    1988 Climbmax 001.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,385
  • 1988 Climbmax 002.JPG
    1988 Climbmax 002.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,382
  • 1988 Climbmax 003.JPG
    1988 Climbmax 003.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 1988 Climbmax 004.JPG
    1988 Climbmax 004.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,380
  • 1988 Climbmax 006.JPG
    1988 Climbmax 006.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 1988 Climbmax 007.JPG
    1988 Climbmax 007.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 1988 Climbmax 009.JPG
    1988 Climbmax 009.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,385
Last edited:
Re:

Super interesting Information Roy.

I wonder if the rear brake cable routing was originally intended on running under the downtube, then up the seat tube to a pulley like a Mammoth? Just a wild guess.

BTW, I'm the lucky guy who ended up with the 88 tigged Romax, the Brent Martin special order. I have done as much on-line research in the Romax vs. Climbmax particulars and from what i've found (in the attached page), the geometry might have been what defined the model, or at least this is what i'm assuming by the lack of any other detailed information.

Climbmax 69 head tube angle
Romax 70.5
Simian Warrior 73

Attachments

• 88 brodie.jpg
    88 brodie.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 1,357
Re:

Certainly an interesting one Roy and a very nice addition to your fleet :D What's the plan for it?

I've read that article before and wondered if anyone has ever read anything else about the Simian Warrior, let alone seen one in the flesh?

Back