1989? Raleigh Mirage - Lots of pics

TKIceman

Retro Newbie
Hi. I thought id share my Raleigh Mirage build. Its almost a year ago now since i first "restored" it. Its not equipped with loads of period correct parts, but the original parts are the cranks, front and rear mechs, seatpost, headset, BB, fork.

I used to love riding this bike when i was 15 ish but i was not really into biking properly back then. Then after it wasnt being used for a couple of years it remained neglected in my garden and it got its wheels nicked eventually. Then after ages of neglect and being left outside to face the elements, i finally dragged it out and thought id breath some new life into it as a little summer project.

I decided that i would make it a commuter... so here is how the build panned out:

Well before i started it looked like this. It was in a bit of a state to say the least

Then i took it apart, degreased and sanded it down a bit ready for a new paintjob, as the old one wasnt in the best of nick and it was purple which is a bit...meh.

I originally picked up a can of paint with this cap on it...was very misleading. Haha.

I was not happy with the colour at all...so it was a trip down to Halfords for another can of paint. I decided on "ignitor red". To be honest i hated the red at first, but then i grew to like it as i was getting the bike together.

Eventually, staying in the garden until 10 at night putting it back together it was completed with the exception of the gear wiring. I decided to take it on a quick ride down the high street anyway late at night as i was aching to see how it would ride and it was lovely!!! Very smooth riding.

Here are some pictures of it the day after i finished it up.

I like this one!

Okay, so fast forward several months and its got its wheels nicked for another one of my builds, so i picked up a pair of wheels cheaply on eBay for it.

Then a month or so later, a whole new rear brake system (cables, pads v brakes) and new wiring for the front. Also tried a new bar and stem combo and it was shocking, as it felt as if the front was very unweighted and i had a big loss of confidence in cornering. So i stuck the old stem and bar back on, and it was perfect.

When i tried the new stem and bars:

And finalllyyyyyy how it looks right now!

I also tried it out for XC once as my main bike had a freehub failure. Was pretty good. Looks good with a red saddle and white Wellgo pedals (which ended up staying)

This bike is on sale right now. Trying to gather some funds together for another bike project. Collect from Enfield, North London.

Back