'87 Raliegh Maverick Pro 531 Ilkeston SBDU GVOD

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
It was dropped off today - by Thors' jockstrap, it is rusty but also savable. Might leave the patina for now.

Full Deore MT60 groupset except the STX rear mech. You dont see this groupset for years then 3 come along at once...

...and what is it with 'rustless spokes'??? Every bloody set of wheels I have use these things and they're all rusty!

Pics soon - its just too sorry looking to post as is for now.

Link to the G.O.D. complex bit

1987raleighcat_uk_12_lg.jpg

1987raleighcat_uk_15_lg.jpg

file.php

Re:

...and what is it with 'rustless spokes'??? Every bloody set of wheels I have use these things and they're all rusty!

Well, they're not rustless then, are they? :p

These are rustless:

UK07.jpg

The wheels are 24 years old and for a good 10 or 15 of those the bike was pretty much unused and left languishing at the back of the garage.

Re:

more pics

Attachments

• graunchy.jpg
    graunchy.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,351
  • grimpy.jpg
    grimpy.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,351
  • growly.jpg
    growly.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,350
  • grungy.jpg
    grungy.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,350
  • flakey.jpg
    flakey.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,350
Re:

Those are stainless!

Ah, you mean those awful zinc galvanized spokes that either go all white and chalky or rusty. :D

Years ago, I wouldn't have given a second glance at these old slack angled, lugged steel frames, now, they quite appeal. :cool:

Re: 1987 Raliegh Maverick Pro 531 with a G.O.D complex

With the serial number 'SB 8387', this seems to be one of the last frames built at Ilkeston

Re:

I have only ever seen one of those before, and it was totally box fresh..................... But it was back in 1987 :LOL:

Shame as this is pretty fucked...

I would like to get this professionally stripped and dipped as it does seem to be rather a special frame. It doesnt appear to be fashionable though as its not any of the 'in' brands.

As for colour - classic mid eighties dour colours! I'll see what the world brings.

Jobs left to do:

remove stuck stem

drown in oil to see if later cartridge BB moves.

'Prototype' Marauder and Maverick?

oooh.

http://threespeedhub.com/raleigh-specia ... -ilkeston/

Re:

I seem to remember that it was a built to order bike as we had to wait ages to get it and we had it in the shop for less than an hour as the bloke couldn't wait to get his hands on it :xmas-big-grin:

I have the same issue with the spokes on my Diamondback. Are you going to clean them? If so how? I was thinking a vinegar/lemon juice bath followed by a good tin foil scrubbing. I'm not a fan of the acid bath - too many kids running around to play with that stuff for my taste.

Back