1988/89 Clockwork proto (project thread)

Retroms68

Retro Guru
Ok summers on its way and i reckon its time to get going with this.
Ive had it a few months now and have decided to make a start stripping the paint from frame.

For those interested its the one that Brocklanders found , and does have some mystery about it.

All the decals that I could remove , have been saved for future reference.
Im still none the wiser regarding the foil chainstay decal and it isnt going to be saveable.

The plan is to send this to Bob Jackson for painting , however due to the unanswered questions i have about its history and the fact that there are a couple of areas of rust i will be removing the paint myself just to see whats underneath.

Re: dynamo

Doug that was mentioned before in the clockwork info thread and it does fit but doesnt make sense. The first letter is definately "D" and there is an "A" in the middle but the rest is anyones guess. Plus the name dynamo was used on the Orange road bike later.

Ive contacted Orange about the decal but havnt heard anything yet.

It was suggested that maybe the name was destined for something before the road bike but never happened.

I remember seeing a picture of a Formula somewhere , it had a similar foil decal on the stay. But i cant seem to find the same picture anywhere.

Mike

Re: 1989 Clockwork proto? Project thread.

Signing in for updates... I've got an early Clockwork which shares some traits of this frame - frame no. position, under BB cable guide, even the little black sticker under the top tube / seat tube junction. Frame no A89118174, so maybe a little older than yours? Mine's stickered as Tange DB not Infinity. Should be able to find a thread on here. Cheers!

MatBH5":37gh3vfx said:
Signing in for updates... I've got an early Clockwork which shares some traits of this frame - frame no. position, under BB cable guide, even the little black sticker under the top tube / seat tube junction. Frame no A89118174, so maybe a little older than yours? Mine's stickered as Tange DB not Infinity. Should be able to find a thread on here. Cheers!

Ive seen your thread mate and yours is probably the one id go for out of all the clockworks ive seen. Love the colour,groupset and the sail shop history.
The proto is a mix of tubesets. Infinity main triangle and prestige back end.
As ive started taking the paint off ive found markings in marker pen. Ive only done part of the rear so far but im hoping that i might uncover something interesting marked on the tubing from the build up.

Re:

Cheers! I'm certainly enjoying the rebuild - even if the Campy stuff is hard to track down. Really interested in what you might find on the bare metal - be sure to share some pictures.

Not sure about Infinity tubes, but Prestige tubes are marked.
vgmlc0.jpg

Back