1996 GT Zaskar - Red Anodised (Retro-Mod) *pics 12/4/14-p2*

DevonDave

Dirt Disciple
Here goes for my first build-thread...

I think it's important that you understand my thoughts behind this project (you'll see why in a bit)!

BITD, I owned a GT RTS 2 - which I thought was amazing! However, I was also desperate to own a GT Zaskar. At this time, my LBS (Soanes in Colyton) had a lovely custard yellow Zaskar frame hanging in their showroom which I used to gaze longingly at every time I popped in for more mundane items - like inner tubes and cans of GT85. Unfortunately, paper-round wages couldn't afford it. Instead, I used to save up and buy nice things for the RTS - X-Lite being one of my favourite brands.

So, this build is a mixture of all the things which I really wanted BITD, but could never afford. This should explain what otherwise will look like an unusual mix of odd bits! I've decided to go with new running-gear - as old mechs/shifters etc don't really do it for me (sorry!).

First, a few pictures of the bits before I begin to assemble...

I know the decals are some weird non-original type ones - but they go with the Magura HS33's i've got - so they're staying for the time being.

Sorry about all the pictures - i'm so excited! I've been waiting over a year to start this build! I've got to post a new reply before I can add more photos...

Attachments

• Park Tool Stand.jpg
    Park Tool Stand.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 2,273
  • Zaskar Frame.jpg
    Zaskar Frame.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 2,273
  • Club Roost.jpg
    Club Roost.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,273
  • Saddle.jpg
    Saddle.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,274
  • Magura HS33.jpg
    Magura HS33.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,272
  • Rock Shox.jpg
    Rock Shox.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2,272
  • SRAM X9 Cranks.jpg
    SRAM X9 Cranks.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,272
  • SRAM X0 Shifters.jpg
    SRAM X0 Shifters.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,273
Re:

Almost done with photo's of the 'bits'...

Ok - next post will be some photo's of the bike actually being built...

Attachments

• X-Lite Stem.jpg
    X-Lite Stem.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,266
  • Hope Wheel.jpg
    Hope Wheel.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,266
  • XT Rear Wheel.jpg
    XT Rear Wheel.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 2,266
  • Tyres.jpg
    Tyres.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,265
  • Saint Pedals.jpg
    Saint Pedals.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,265
Re:

My local bike shop too. Sid loved my red ano zaskar when I dropped in with it last year (before I sold it).
1996 made but 1997 model?

Is it a 19"?

I had a fly stem on mine too!

Re:

Hi Coomber. I think it's an 18" - as it's got '18' stamped on the dropout.

Sid loves talking about the retro-stuff! He found some nice NOS Onza tyres for me when I picked up the wheels - though they're being saved for another build i've got planned.

When i've built this one - I think i'll take it over to Soanes for Sid to take a look at!

Re:

He's found a lot of nice bits since their clearout!

Looking forward to the rest. I love a retro mod build.

Would personally change decals again, gilt_m has them all on file. But that's only my preference.

I'm not going to make it but there's a Woodbury ride organised for next Sunday if you fancied it?

Re:

I'm hoping to make it to Woodbury next weekend - would be great to meet up with some of the local Retrobikers!

As for the decals...I think you're opinion will be shared by many! Once the bike is up and running, I dare say I will probably contact Gil for some better ones. Right now, i've spent too much on this addictive hobby!

Re:

Here's mine (since departed)

coomber":1a2yqjlk said:
DSC03242_zps5d3b21f6.jpg

Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":31mpbn6n said:
Nice red anno frame. That stem isn't my taste, but I'm sure its going to look great when finished.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. The stem doesn't look quite as correct as a Kore or a Syncros...but I used to lust after the X-Lite stuff back in the 90's!

Might have been better if I hadn't gone for so many different shades of red on this build!

Re: Re:

coomber":35r2dmmi said:
Here's mine (since departed)

coomber":35r2dmmi said:

I like your style!

I think those Bombers look ace set against the red anno. of the Zaskar frame.

Even better...that cake on your kitchen worktop looks damned good!

Back