Feedback
View
Just got this beauty :)

Anyone know anything about this one?

20140325192pdsix.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Re:

Its a 3 series frame and forks dating back to the early nineties,which has been extensively (and nicely) modernised.Decals are typical modern off Ebay or similar and very few of the original parts remain.If you really want to find out the age then the frame number will tell you,however a re-paint tends to cover the little dots which form the number.Other than that if you measure the thickness of the part of the frame to which the gear hanger bolts,most 1990/91 frames are 4.75mm thick,1992 frames onwards are 6.4 mm thick or thereabouts.

Re:

3 possibilies :
1991 SM omega
1991 SM 2000
1991 SM 1000
or just a frameset sold alone

Why ?
Mudcutter chainstays which appeared in 1991 catalog, and the pepperoni fork with 1" steerer and without force 40 hanger which existed only in 91
:D

But with some XT component, I would say 1991 SM2000

Re:

My take would be:

5 = 135mm dropout
18 = frame size
0990 = Sept 90 build date
4508 = serial no

It is not possible to get a model description from the frame number,but in my experience anything made in the last quarter goes out as the next years model ie yours would have been a 1991 model.

Re:

Agreed, and as Pierre says, Mudcutter chainstays first appeared in the 91 Catalogue. If the forks are original to the frame then it will be an SM2000 or SM1000 or maybe the Omega version, robbed of all it's cool parts!

Thanks for the info, frank.youngman! :) It was very helpful.

I already had an omega once, looked really familiar.

Cheers

Back