1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Blizz

Retro Guru
Here's my 1st major restoration project. This bike was left outside for the past few years and the Canadian winters took it's toll on it. I nearly cursed its previous owner for this abuse...but he handed it over for pocket change, so I held my tongue and felt grateful for getting it. I don't think there are many of the 89 Blizzards out there anymore (I have yet to find another one online), so I felt obligated to fix this one up and restore it to its former glory. At least make an attempt.

Here's how it looked when I 1st got it. Lots of rust and everything seized and faded.

And here's the frame stripped down, after many hours/days removing seized bolts, rusted parts and seized seatpost. Unfortunately, the hacksaw, vice, and drill had to be used a couple times...more on that later. :(

I debated whether or not got get the frame and fork sandblasted, but I didn't think it would be possible to match the black/white speckle paint, so I started with the fork and stem and removed the rust while keeping the paint intact.
Before:

After:

It turned out better than I thought it would, so next job will be de-rusting the rear triangle and likely sanding down the white for repaint...and fixing the cable stop. Probably will have to cut it off and weld a new one on unless there is a better way to fix this. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 89Blizz.jpg
    89Blizz.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,726
  • 89Blizzframe.jpg
    89Blizzframe.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,645
  • rustyfork1.jpg
    rustyfork1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,639
  • rustyfork2.jpg
    rustyfork2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,638
  • blizzforkfinished.jpg
    blizzforkfinished.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,637
  • blizzforkfinished2.jpg
    blizzforkfinished2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • stemfinished.jpg
    stemfinished.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,639
  • brokenblizz2.jpg
    brokenblizz2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,644
here's one more of the original pics I took, to show a bit more of the frame detail. Yes, those were once black XT U-brakes.

Attachments

• 89Blizz2.jpg
    89Blizz2.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,631
Re:

Lovely find!

To me, nothing sparks that retro buzz more than Oakley decals in that font on a frame :D

Looking forward to the final result!

Re:

Awesome bike, and great patina which i've learned to love more over the years.

It always hurts to see great bikes neglected to the point of no return, glad you caught this one in time.

Re:

Great find. Definitely worth the effort you're putting in to it :cool:

Re:

Nice!! it's basically the same frame as my avalance, only difference is the Blizzard had a front U-Brake

You have an option to put on Roller Cam Brakes if they are your Cup of tea =)

If not, I'd recommend Black XT U-Brake on front and rear

The brake cable stop is probably brazed on... most professional mechainics who do frame building can braze one on for you, or you can easily do it yourself if you are handy =)

Re: Re:

Thanks for the comments everyone!

shutter":12sqle4i said:
You have an option to put on Roller Cam Brakes if they are your Cup of tea =)

If not, I'd recommend Black XT U-Brake on front and rear

The brake cable stop is probably brazed on... most professional mechainics who do frame building can braze one on for you, or you can easily do it yourself if you are handy =)
Thanks, I've looked into a local frame builder and will go with this option.
I'm trying to find another pair of XT u-brakes in better shape, since I'm going for more of a stock build. I think the u-brakes and Syncros seatpost are going to be the hardest ones to find!

Back