Wife Bike - finished!

Cookielad

Devout Dirtbag
After joining the forum and getting the bug for improving my own bike I've found I have a load of parts sat on shelves collecting dust which there must be a better use for!

I've been trying for a while to get my missus into biking and thought it would be great to build her a bike myself! Its's taken a bit of persuading!

After looking for a while to find a bike that would fit the missus well but also satisfy my need of building a retro bike I found a belter on eBay! It's not the cleanest frame but will do the job perfectly.
Couldn't believe I managed to fine one of these in a size 14" which is the same model as mine.

Still unsure of which way to go with the build. I have a lot of original parts from my bike which will almost complete the build so I'm thinking of completing a period build...... but there is a temptation to maybe keep the retro frame but go more modern with the component's

Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,576
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,576
  • IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,576
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1,576
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,576
Re:

Well Cookie

Looks like you fell on your feet with the frame........ and the wife :D
not sure her fluffy coat will last long on the trails

Whats you plans for the build

Re: Project Bike Number 2!!

Welcome along dude that frame looks good I've just got my wife into biking get her out on the guild wheel.

Re:

I've built 2 of these up, one for my Sister and the other for my mates mrs.
They're really nice frames, and it's surprising how many come up in that small a size.
Last of the steel rockhoppers!

Re:

I think you haven't been on the forum long if this is only your second project ! :LOL: :roll:
Seriously though , looks like a good find and a nice colour too . I'd go for silver LX , M560 , inexpensive lots of it about and works well

Mike

I built a GT Bravado of a similar age for my Mrs (also in dinky 14"), I fitted a combination of LX560 and XT739. I also fitted a set of Bomber Z3 light forks which are great if a little heavy.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=165749
It's changed a bit since then, losing the risers and WTB stem for an Easton EA50 stem and flat bars, XT rear mech and STI's, LX brakes and hus with Rigida rims, it gets used and the saddle may get changed for a Charge Ladle as she doesn't get on with the WTB Speed She.

Carl.

Looks like a trials frame! :cool: It's an option for another build if your wife ends up not liking the cycle thing. ;)

Cheers for all of the messages guy's!!

Retro Spud":1awe9vqe said:
Well Cookie

Looks like you fell on your feet with the frame........ and the wife :D
not sure her fluffy coat will last long on the trails

Whats you plans for the build

Haha cheers mate! Yes the fur coat would look a right mess lol!

That's the exact idea DICKO10. I think it will most likely be used for something like the guild wheel, light gravel and tarmac!

Would be interesting to know what spec you went with makster? That's the one, last of the steel breed...... and will look good next to mine!

I know what you mean Mike Muz 67, it's seriously addictive! Since being on here I've replaced not far of every part of my bike.....I've become an eBay addict!!

Like the GT drcarlos! That really is the type of build im after, something usable, will work well and last.... it doesnt have to be top end but good quality!

That's not a bad idea firedfromthecircus!!! She might hate it and I'll have another toy :)

As far as the build goes, I have the following parts from my bike which look like they will make an appearance!!!!

Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z3 2008 (I think)

Headset:Specialized AHeaset
Stem: Specialized
Handlebar: Ricthey Prologic
Grips: TBC

Brakes:DiaComp
Brake Pads:TBC
Brake Cables: TBC
Brake Levers: XT
Shifters: I have some newer SLX's but maybe to modern?
Front Derailleur: STX Rc
Rear Derailleur:XT or XTR - Both period correct
Cassette: TBC
Chain: TBC
Cranks: TBC
Bottom Bracket: TBC
Pedals: TBC

Rims: Rear - MAX , front TBC
Hubs: Rear Deore - front TBC
Tyres: TBC
Seatpost: TBC

And that's where i'm at at present!

P.S The picture of her with the helmet didn't go down to well lol :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 1,443

Finally had a little time at the weekend to start the bike.

Ive given the frame a good clean and polish and touched up odd areas - I really didn't want to respray it and lose the original colour and patina. Plus it was never going to be a concourse build

First of all was a clean up of the Marzocchi Bombers. I've has these from new (since 199:cool: so managed to keep them in quite good order. After a clean and a little Autosol they came up a treat:

Next step was cleaning the Headset. The original was in surprisingly good condition, so after a really good clean and lube they seem to work great. These added with a Specialized stem, Ricthey ForceLight bar and Carbon spacers have completed the front end.

[attachment=0]IMG_0488.JPG[/attachment

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,360

update :D
Managed to collect a few more parts for the bike to help complete the build.

Ebay came to hand with a new front wheel for the bike. Purchased a period - ish Mavic Crossride front wheel in really good condition. I do have a Ritchey front wheel with Ritchey Rock comp rim front my bike but love the look of the parallel spokes.

Also have picked up a Deore 9sp cassette and chain so thats the wheels finished:

Fitted these with some road tyres I have lying around at present just to get the chassis rolling.

Also found a really nice Sugino Chainset. Not quite NOS at all but it is immaculate and fits in with the period build I'm going for. These are branded as Sugino USA rather than having the big 'S' on the arm.

They did come with a shimano BB but the one already fitted is in great condition so the new one will be kept on the shelf for emergencies.

Quite happy with the current result...... Next job is to clean the XT levers and decide on the rear mech. XT or XTR???

Still also on the look out for a seat post, saddle and front shifters. The SLX ones I think will be to modern but I might fit then initially to get the bike working. I'm really hoping to have it finished for the bank holiday weekend for a ride out but time will tell.

Cheers
James

Attachments

• IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 1,286
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,286
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 1,286