1994 Kona Cinder Cone Build Thread

sho220

Devout Dirtbag
My first real mountain bike, purchased 20 years ago. The only parts that remain from when I first bought it are the front and rear derailluers and the XC51. Fork still works fine and has only had one oil change in all those years. :D I did have to replace the crown due to a crack, other than that it keeps chugging right along...

Frame: 1994 Kona Cinder Cone

Fork: Marzocchi XC51

Headset: Cane Creek Aheadset Tank
Stem: Race Face System
Handlebar: Syncros Riser
Grips: Kore

Brakes: Suntour XC Pro
Brake Pads: Suntour
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Avid Tri-Dangles
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe SS5

Shifters: Shimano MT62
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX M563
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX M563
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano 13-32
Chain: SRAM PC850
Cranks: Shimano LX M563
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Stainless Steel
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Wellgo Platforms

Hub Skewers: Fast Feather
Rims: Sun CR20???
Hubs: Shimano XT M730 f/r
Tires: f: Panaracer Dart II / r: WTB Velociraptor

Saddle: Vetta TT SL
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Alloy

Weight: ??

IMG_2695_zps0f7e0026.jpg

IMG_2693_zps9b2256bf.jpg

IMG_2691_zps3fd5e455.jpg

IMG_2680_zps2a91481d.jpg

IMG_2679_zps2e6e2809.jpg

IMG_2677_zpsc6969e63.jpg

IMG_2676_zpsf765c8ec.jpg

IMG_2673_zpsad8250f4.jpg

IMG_2674_zps86d01b67.jpg

IMG_2675_zps9463001c.jpg

IMG_2655_zps07287d50.jpg

Worst quick releases ever made...absolutely terrible... :evil:

IMG_2652_zpsbf731d23.jpg

IMG_2653_zps177b6b77.jpg

Nice!!! '94 was a very good year for Kona's ;)

How is your cassette being held in place? Look's like it's missing the lock ring...and maybe a gear? :?

Canuck":3t5t71dz said:

How is your cassette being held in place? Look's like it's missing the lock ring...and maybe a gear? :?
Thanks. The smallest cog threads on...and it's an older cassette...only 6 gears...

Looks great! I have the same bike, it was my first good bike too. All I have left is the bar, stem, and front derailleur.

Thanks guys! I've thought about upgrading the fork, but nostalgia seems to keep stopping me. I've replaced nearly everything else, but for some reason I can't ditch the fork. So many great miles and memories on that poor thing...

sho220":2ifimg0b said:
Canuck":2ifimg0b said:

Thanks. The smallest cog threads on...and it's an older cassette...only 6 gears...

But no lock ring...isn't it sliding all over the place when you put the power down?

al-onestare":gclpqtu4 said:
sho220":gclpqtu4 said:
Canuck":gclpqtu4 said:

But no lock ring...isn't it sliding all over the place when you put the power down?
Nope...doesn't move at all. They are however, a pain to remove as they can get very tight and have to be removed with two chain-whips. Posted this link in the other thread. You can see how to remove them here http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... el-removal

This page shows a couple pics of the threaded hub body... http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Back