1992 Kona Kilauea (20")

JezG

Retro Newbie
Owned since new (purchased from Evans in Croydon). I knew a chap that worked there, so I only paid £320 (was selling on the shop floor at the time for £640 if I recall). Only recently just started riding again, so it's needed some work (tyres, fork elastomers etc.) as it's been stuck in a shed for many years. As I've been enjoying browsing the site for a few months, I thought I'd give it a wash and take a few shots in the sunshine to share. Obviously had a few changes from original. Headset and BB are probably the only things that actually needed to be replaced! Still have the P2s, one of the original tyres and the Kona 165 bars should I ever decide to use them again. You probably don't need me to tell you what everything is, so on with the shots:

1992 Kona Kilauea by jezdgould, on Flickr

That's cool and nicely upgraded. I just got my one on Friday.

Mine has the 986s on the front and the 987s on the back (to give you more heel room?) Did yours come that way round?

tiboltrider":1gxbrnvn said:
Mine has the 986s on the front and the 987s on the back (to give you more heel room?) Did yours come that way round?

Yes, came with the 986s on the back, but my mate at Evans might have swapped them around as he thought that was the better way to have them. I might have dreamt that though! Never had any clearance problems with the 986s on the back.

Nice looking bike! Did it come with the Kona decal behind the seattube from the factory?

sho220":30byc9g0 said:
Nice looking bike! Did it come with the Kona decal behind the seattube from the factory?

No, I got hold of a spare complete decal sheet soon after I got it to replace one of the Kilaueas on the top tube which got scratched. Couldn't resist adding the Kona on the seat tube. Think I still have the sheet somewhere.

JezG":1npno6ze said:
sho220":1npno6ze said:

No, I got hold of a spare complete decal sheet soon after I got it to replace one of the Kilaueas on the top tube which got scratched. Couldn't resist adding the Kona on the seat tube. Think I still have the sheet somewhere.
Nice touch. Looks good there.

Thanks for all the kind words. It was fitted with Rock Shox Quadras, but they didn't last very long. The legs started to get play in them after a few months and they were changed for the Mantitous.

Very tidy indeed ; I've a big soft spot for any Kona and particularly "oddballs" like your '92 Kilauea as I don't think it ever appeared in a catalogue.

Back