uh oh... not another ti kona! (king kahuna)

Bear-Chan

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
thought you guys might like to see what's been cluttering up our lounge for the past few weeks... :)
the frame is a 16" that made the journey from san francisco to sheffield a couple of months ago. its in lovely nick and has the disc tabs beautifully welded on. this is how things are looking so far...

i wanted a bling, retro-themed, but very usable build that could be my main bike (hence 2 rear mechs!). so far things seem to be going to plan.
rims should be arriving any day now so tim-just-back-dated can crack on with building the wheels with black spokes. tyres will be either magics or the black porcs... or maybe smoke and dart if theyre released any time soon!

further plans for stuff include hopefully commissioning a ti bar/stem combo from groovy (when rody works his way through his holiday emails!), either original thumbies or pauls thumbies, anodising a few bits (pauls brakes, chainrings etc) and the application of a very small, subtle original MBUK mint sauce sticker somewhere!

one thing im not 110% convinced about is the decals. my original plans were to put 94 decals on the frame as ive never been a fan of the originals. i got some repro ones from gil, and im still not totally sure if theyre a bit in your face? what do you guys reckon? the headbadge and seattube badge are original and will deffo be staying. just not sure about the big blammo KONA and KK... let me know what you guys think.
hope you like the pics!
BC

Attachments

• kahuna-spread4.jpg
    kahuna-spread4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,652
  • kahuna-spread3.jpg
    kahuna-spread3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,651
  • kahuna-spread2.jpg
    kahuna-spread2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,651
  • kahuna-spread1.jpg
    kahuna-spread1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,651
Should be interesting. Surely thats the wrong front mech though :? Don't they take normal band on mechs? :?

Very nice, that must have cost a bomb! my choice to have the orginal decals for the year of the bike, so the bike expert's know what year it is, but the choice is yours as it's your bike, looked forward when finished.

Bear-Chan":29bp2me4 said:
the big blammo KONA and KK... let me know what you guys think.

As the KONA decal isn't right (The K is wrong for a downtube decal and it stands out like dogs b....) it needs changing anyway so put whatever you want on there or leave it blank.

cheers for the comments guys
never noticed about the 'K' before! thanks for pointing that out, now you mentioned it it does stand out like a sore wotsit. as i said, i was never a fan of this kona logo, so i think thats just made the decession for me about the decals - off they come! :LOL:
the front mech was a bit of a random buy - ive been keeping an eye out for a standard alternative so it probably wont get used. theres a couple of other bits i may swap or pinch off my rascal for this one - things like the pauls levers instead of the KCNC ones.
with the headset / steerer stuff, the headset topcap goes underneath the fork crown, just like it would on top of the stem. so all the bits get used, but you dont get to see the green top cap. :D
cheers!
BC

andrewl":1xjzjs0x said:
Bear-Chan":1xjzjs0x said:
the big blammo KONA and KK... let me know what you guys think.
As the KONA decal isn't right (The K is wrong for a downtube decal and it stands out like dogs b....) it needs changing anyway so put whatever you want on there or leave it blank.
What do you mean the K isn't right? The cheek of these Aussies - just cos they know how to live upside down, they think they know everything! It's a 98 K and that means it's as right as right gets. :cool:

Attachments

• Explosif frame rhs.jpg
    Explosif frame rhs.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,525
Back