96 Zaskar Rebuild Thread

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
So I picked up a 96 Zaskar frame dirt cheap a few years back to replace a broken frame on my winter commuter. I built it up and used it for a season. Was ok, but I didn't like the way I had to bodge my rack onto that tripple triangle frame. My kids got into trail riding and I liked how the Zaskar felt on the dirt so I found a Norco Rampage on Craigslist that was advertised as my size. This is one of the bikes I drooled over back in the 90's so I thought it would be cool to use it my winter work bike and convert the Zaskar to a proper XC bike. It was hardly used so I bought it. Road it for a bit and figured out it was too small for me (serves me right for not doing my research). I picked up a 2000ish Rocky Mountain hammer race frame dirt cheap ($20) and turned it into my work bike. So effectively I'm taking the frame in the photo below and I'm swaping onto it most of the bits off of the bike profiled here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=275286

to make a new friend. I'm about 1/2 way through the build and have slowed down waiting for a new front mech (Thanks RockiMtn) and because the kids are keeping me too darn busy. The frame is in pretty rough shape and I'd like to do something with it in the future - maybe powder coat and new decals - to tart it up. For now I just want to get it functional and get the kids out in the woods when the weather improves. I'll post some pics of it in its current configuration soon.

Attachments

• zaskar1 small.jpg
    zaskar1 small.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 776
Hey guys, thanks for the interest. That frame was built in March of 95 which would make it a 96 model year (correct?). I chatted with Cherrybomb about this via PM a month or so ago. He said it shared characterisitcs with the 94/95 model year frames.

About powdercoating it - this frame is well loved and the anno is in terrible shape. I'd love to get it re-annodized, but there are so many pits and deep scratches I don't think it would be worth it. I'll either leave it the way it is and celebrate the patina or fill it and powerdcoat it to tart it up.

Funny thing, just saw on the local ads that someone up around the corner has an aqua framed GT in 18 inch for sale for a nice price. Looks like it might be another Zaskar. Decisions, decisions.

ba57ards":1maqfnvw said:
stop slacking and go get the other zaskar !!!!

It's really tempting, but I don't have the space and if truth be told I'd really like to add an early 90's Rocky Mountain, Brodie or Kona to my stable finances and wife willing..... :idea: of course replacing the thrashed ink blue frame with a gently used aqua wouldn't be a bad thing now would it. And I'm sure I could sell the Ink Blue one to someone here - right? :D

Here are some pics taken tonight showing progress to date and some of the ugly "patina" on the frame. I did some work on the brakes after taking these photos and figured out that I've messed up on the front brakes. Is there an adapter I can buy to make this fork work?

Didn't hear back from the guy selling the other Aqua GT so I may have dodged a bullet there. Probably not a bad thing considering I'm bidding on some assorted bits on ebay.

Attachments

• Zaskar full bike.JPG
    Zaskar full bike.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 651
  • Zaskar top bar.JPG
    Zaskar top bar.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 651
  • Zaskar chain stay.JPG
    Zaskar chain stay.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 650
  • Zaskar brakes.JPG
    Zaskar brakes.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 651
you need a fork brace mounted hanger. i bought one myself to try to change over the fork for my build but the offset was too far forward and wasn't in line with the brake arms. should have guessed it's good for a rigid fork, but not suspension.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=273200&start=55

ca15089-2.jpg

Just stick a V brake on the front if you want an easy fix. They were around by 95-96 so it's period correct and you get good brakes too. ;)

Latest posts

Back