KG Engineering Offroad Proflex..now with photos on page 2

pete_mcc

Feature Bike
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
1990 was a good year for full suspension, mainly because it was the year the first production full suspension bike was introduced to the market - the Offroad Proflex.

Along with the Pace RC100 and the Klein Attitude this was the bike that made my teenage years. It was new, different and rare with only 100 or so made by NY custom builder Serotta.

Finding one of these was going to be tough, even harder was finding one that fits. The problems are two fold; firstly I'm a short arse, secondly most of these bikes were massive (as were all bikes in the late 80s and early 90s). So imagine my joy when a tiny, superb condition one turned up on eBay. The seller was a superstar - willing to ship over here, offering great service from start to finish (Galenacycles, check him out here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/galenacycles).

The frame came complete with a set of Girvin Vectors (that will be coming off and will be up for sale), a Syncros post, a king headset and a set of offroad bars. I'll be focusing the build around 1990 but probably staying away from the catalogue build as I have a dislike of all things shimano. Anyhoo, enough text, here's the photos of it just out of the box:

6ad2fec00e7c2807758409423479de17_zpsf7342d02.jpg

85375a6387bb0ca6a6e0185aa6061715_zpse7141e51.jpg

eb361ac1c587fc5fb3673433f127b16b_zpsa6dc4a23.jpg

2740f2c7e2785c5bfa696042b15d0c02_zps7dc60dba.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: KG Engineering Offroad Proflex

Argh...I considered buying that on ebay when it came up also, but passed as it wasnt my size..kind of the missing piece to my collection :(

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,569

^^^^^ that is some serious homage to all things proflex.

Nice, I didn't know they were built by Serotta :cool:

Nice collection too henry :D

Interested to hear if you have made any progress with this Pete...?

Re:

Im intrigued to hear a little more of KG engineering , and there role in the Proflex story. I cant say before this I new of the serotta connection either... :oops:

pete_mcc":257n7b03 said:
The frame came complete with a set of Girvin Vectors (that will be coming off and will be up for sale)

I'm after some Girvins to go on my Zaskar, so I'd be potentially interested in these :D

KG engineering was the trademark of Girvin in the late 80's, KG are the initials of Kate Girvin, Bob Girvin's daughter.

They were engineers and they needed someone to gave life to their designs, they were based in Rhode Island, so Serotta was near from them and he made a little production for KG engineering (Offroad - ProFlex). They used the Offroad brand, but they had to change the name to Proflex (problems with the patents or so).
In 1991 all the production (550, 750, 950 and not pretty sure RF-1) was based in Taiwan (not sure about a steel frame top of the range, I think those were made by Serotta too)

Sorry my poor english :-(

miliu":3i0ad0p9 said:
KG engineering was the trademark of Girvin in the late 80's, KG are the initials of Kate Girvin, Bob Girvin's daughter.

They were engineers and they needed someone to gave life to their designs, they were based in Rhode Island, so Serotta was near from them and he made a little production for KG engineering (Offroad - ProFlex). They used the Offroad brand, but they had to change the name to Proflex (problems with the patents or so).
In 1991 all the production (550, 750, 950 and not pretty sure RF-1) was based in Taiwan (not sure about a steel frame top of the range, I think those were made by Serotta too)

Sorry my poor english :-(

No need for apologise, Thank you for the Info, I would certainly never have put two and two together. Great info thank you.

Back