P20 WIP

Mr.Toad

Senior Retro Guru
2014 is starting great, managed to score a very nice 95-96 Ritchey P-20 in fine shape. The only catch being I had to drive 7 hours one way to pick it up.

So gathered my riding pals and hit the road. 1000 miles (round trip) and 3 epic rides later I now have the bike in my clutches.....and real ideas of what to do with it.

1st pic is how it was built. WI eno wheels, Paul levers, carbon risers, Thompson stem, beautiful IRD Ti Expedition fork, and 2.3 Mega Bites. Nice build but not entirely thought out.

Current idea is to install a rigid and sus-corrected fork to sort the geometry, put on a geared rear wheel and derailleur so I can run 1x8. Dial in the handlebar rise and reach, then dominate out local race scene. Hey dreams can happen........

Progress will be posted as I proceed.

Toad

Attachments

• Braze.jpg
    Braze.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 665
  • Ritcheybb.jpg
    Ritcheybb.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 665
  • Ritcheyside.jpg
    Ritcheyside.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 665
  • ridge.jpg
    ridge.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 665
Ooh that's nice! Close ups of the forks please :D

The very pretty IRD's.

As nice as they are they just can't be used on this sus-corrected frame :(

Attachments

• IRDEX.jpg
    IRDEX.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 631
Truly awesome. And so cool to see it being ridden. I can't wait to share some pics of my Dekerf covered in mud when its finished ;-)

The P-20 evolution continues.

Luckily I had a threadless 1" Tange fork on hand which fits the frame nicely. Also found a steel stem and wide bar to sort out the ergos.

The snowy trails made for difficult riding but so far the stretch and bar drop feel good.

Next step is to trim the steerer and swap out the wheelset.

Attachments

• R252.jpg
    R252.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 540
  • Rside.jpg
    Rside.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 540
Good choice ditching the IRD.

Mine was about as rigid as an overcooked noodle. It made my Alan 'cross fork feel like a Klein Strata in comparison.

The IRD definately has some flex going on but the real issue was it being a non-sus fork on a sus-adjusted geometry.

Short fork on a steep angled bike made for some tricky handling.

Still, that IRD is one nice looking fork!

Glamour shot of the challenging conditions.

Attachments

• ridesnow_0129.jpg
    ridesnow_0129.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 460
That a short head tube try stacking spacers under stem.

Be easier to sell the forks should yiu d
Ever do that.

Back