1994 Klein Attitude Garage Queen --> Rider

bat40a6

Retrobike Rider
This is my 21" 1994 Klein Attitude in Coral Reef. It is in pretty good shape an has had the setup in the picture for quite a while. I haven't used it for ages for a few reasons:
The stem is so low the bike handles badly.
The MC2 chainsuck plate always seems to move out the way when it sees a chain coming.
The lighweight tyres with tubes suck
The 180mm crank arms are too long
The brakes make a screaming noise when applied and felt wooden with the Paul brake levers I had fitted for a long time
I don't want to break it. I have not fitted bottle cages for aesthetic reasons and sometimes bottles scuff the paint :)

So I want to fix the issues above and start using the bike as a rider. My plan is:
Fit a 120mm 10 degree rise MC2 stem / bar (which I have now done)
Extend the width of the bar slightly by making some new bar end caps
Maybe get the new MC2 sprayed Coral Reef once I am happy with the bike
Fit modern snakeskin protected wide tubeless tyres
Get some 175mm Middleburn crank arms
Modify the brakes so they dont screach. Plus allow them to open enough to allow a fat tyred wheel in and out.
Get some compatable brake levers to suit the cantilevers.
Get some suitable bottle cages
Make a chainsuck plate that actually works on an MC2 frame.

The picture is from a few years ago when it weighed about 19lbs

Attachments

• Klein MC2 original.jpg
    Klein MC2 original.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 707
I always wanted one of these in Coral Reef since I saw the 1995 Klein catalog. I had picked up a copy from Leisure Lakes bike shop returning from buying a second hand Attitude with my Dad in 1995. I still have that bike and now I have this, which I bought off Ebay about 6 years ago. I picked it up on a long detour to a night shift. Didn't get much done that night shift and kept going out in the car park to check the bike out....

I now have the 120mm x 10 deg rise on the bike. It feels a lot better posiition wise, but maybe looks a little odd. It might just be because it isn't painted to match? I have also made some black delrin endcaps that fit over the ends of the bars and under the Grab-on grips. So this gives me a bar of 620mm instead of the standard 580mm. It feels a lot better. It is work in progress, the brake levers will change, they don't sit quite right with the shifters.

Attachments

• 120 x 10 deg MC2.jpg
    120 x 10 deg MC2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 620 MC2 bar.jpg
    620 MC2 bar.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 457
Back