1996 Ink Blue Zaskar

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This is the second blue Zaskar frame I've picked up this week! This one came from Dav101- cheers dude. :cool:

It's an 18" in Ink Blue, Frame No. 01965258 so January 1996.

cf228bc2-c32c-4f4f-8b79-fdbbdaf9afbc.jpg

I've been looking for an ink blue Zaskar frame for what seems like forever and have never been able to find one in the right size, condition or year. This is the closest so far; ticking all the boxes except for being a year later than Ideal.

The intention is to replicate, as closely as possible, a bike I built whilst at University in Liverpool in 1995 (Hence the specific requirements).

The build was an eclectic mix of unusual (USE Fork- finding those is a whole other story!), functional (XT737) and affordable (STX RC brakes & Crank). By the time I'd shelled out for the frame, wheels and fork, I'd pretty much blown the budget so stole bits off another bike until I could afford to replace stuff (hence the odd mix).

4c8daae6-64b9-47fb-afea-5655abeb57fe.jpg

I already had a set of identical wheels, XT rear and Hope suspension front laced to Mavic 217 Sup rims in champagne with plain gauge DT spokes and alloy nipples. The tyres, Panaracer XC Magics, came form RikiRiki.

Most of the other stuff I've been hoarding for years, waiting for this day. I've actually got at least two sets of bars & stems and enough STX crank arms to last me forever!

Anyway, I can't wait to start putting her together (It's definitely female- its been so difficult!) The fork is fitted using reducer shims and a Stronglight 1" headset as they have a 1" steerer and the chance of finding another pair is pretty slim.

I've also fitted a UN54 BB (Wanted to check the threads- honest).

…….and so it begins. :D

Wotcha Sean ;)

The fork is U.S.E. EA60 Stealth. They're very nicely made with loads of CNC work and all titanium bolts & brake studs. When they were new they cost the same as the Pace fork of the time and as a couple of my mates had had issues with bent steerer tubes on RC35's I thought I'd give these a go.

They perform well for an elastomer fork and as they use the same elastomers as the seat posts, you can still get spares- result!

I wish the same could be said for the rest of the fork though. Apparently rumour has it that U.S.E. never held spare parts for them even when they were in production, so other than seals and bushes you'd have been hard pressed to repair a set even back then.

Now there just aren't any spares for them at all. I think I may have a lead to some bits, but I'm not sure what (if any).

These ones were in a real mess when I got them (off ebay last year) but as luck would have it they just needed a really good service. They're by no means perfect though, so always on the lookout :D

I'll give you a shout about the XT brakes, but it'll have to be next month now (or I'll be singing castrato!)

okay, i will let them go for just £27 after the mix up with the rims ;) in very good condition as well with original pads and holders. pads look hardly used

Sean

It's amazing what you can achieve when you've got all the parts for a build squirrelled away all clean and sparkly!

After about 10mins with the hair dryer and half an hour with a polishing cloth while watching some random sh*t on the box I gave up on tele and retired to the man cave. :D

cbb0db0d-1a8b-41af-b66e-464d12f09538.jpg

655295b1-995f-43f9-95a5-07c5c76766df.jpg

Still got to trim the steerer and cable up but then she's pretty much there.

Hopefully Gil should be in a position to provide some nice new 95 style decals in a couple of weeks to go with the new ones he's done for the forks along with the USE decals on the frame & seat post.- Cheers bud- you da man! :cool:

The build is as close as I can get to the original bike including the USE fork, STX RC cranks with Pace spider adapter and Club Roost bar & stem combo.

I'll post a full spec when she's completed along with some detail photos.

Cheers for looking' :D

Wish mine was the same year as yours Craig. ;)

How's the build going buddy, got out in those woods yet?

looking at this now, i think, why oh why did i sell it! :facepalm: :facepalm:
a couple of days later i was given a '95 P7 a friend no longer wanted, softened the blow a bit, but only a bit :(

Latest posts

Back