Raleigh RSP 500 (Reynolds 853)

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
[Update below]

Just picked this up and am looking forward to having some fun with it!

I'll need a rear brake and a seatpost and then it's good to go. I'll lose the bar ends and the mudguard ;-)

I'll think about what I want to do with it in the longer term. It's currently single speed which I've never had and am looking forward to giving it a go. Longer term the hills of Brighton and the South Downs are not ideal for that though.

It currently has a home-made shim so if anyone knows seatpost size that would be great. Bikemeister seems to be the man for these (well he did make them!) so I've sent him a PM.

Not sure what the forks are - anyone? They're a bit juddery but maybe lubrication will sort that. Or just replacing if they're not up to much. Don't know much about sus forks. They're all black no decals or anything - the white in the pic is just scratches

The frame's in very good nick.

DSC_1899_zpsbc07a255.jpg

DSC_1901_zpsef3ed780.jpg

DSC_1900_zps06e09dc2.jpg

Good to see it on here and a great price , I thought about buying it but don't need another bike, let alone a full susser. £70 for a hand built 853 frame alone is a damn good deal :)

No idea on the forks either, I know that raleigh used RST models on some of these frames so that's my best guess. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it...

The forks are a Suntour model,can tell by the shape of the lower legs,and the yellow part in the oreload adjuster,quite basic,and probably in need of some attention.
They can feel really sticky when compressed if not serviced regularly.
Frame is cool though.
:D

Somewhat to my surprise this is coming on a pace. Inspired and facilitated by some 99 triple clamps that fortuitously popped up without me really looking.

Not rideable yet but I also picked up some nice (modern) wheels with an 8 speed cassette and I've got an m739 XT rear mech at home (could be 98 so close enough) so looks like it may well end up 8 speed which is a little more practical.

Had a seatpost at home that fitted too so all that's left is the rear brake and top cap for the stem and it'll ve rideable if not finished.

The forks are very soft but aside from that feel fine. I'll have to figure out how to service them - still a complete novice as far as forks go. Luckily the extensive owner's manual is online.

Sorry for the fuzzy pics
DSC_2043-1_zps65c7057b.jpg

DSC_2040-1_zps1cfe82e1.jpg

DSC_2046-1_zps831e7369.jpg
DSC_2046-1_zps831e7369.jpg
Screenshot_2014-02-12-20-31-32_zpsd89a5fde.png

Re:

Really nice, though i actually only rode it up the hill where I went for a run. The chain skips under any pressure so i just took it very easy and I'll swap out the cassette. I'll report back once I've done that!

now that is a rare colour scheme and model. Nice to see!!

Back