1982 Salsa Scoboni #5 "Restoration" *Final Photos Page 11*

theproscloset

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Most folks here know the story of Ross Shafer, founder of Salsa, and his famed first batch of 6 bikes. Well this bike is either #5 or #6 (really doesn't matter which one). We are going to be restoring this bike back to the day it looked when it was first built. This bike was featured in Dirt Rag Issue #110.

Out of Ross's six original bikes, this one was built for Terry Holben (maker of the early Salsa decals). This frame is unique as it had the fish mouth top tube rotated 90 degrees since the top tube had been cut slightly short.

We reached out to Ross to gather some details about the paint and his response about the first six bikes was:

"It may be #5 since as it was in the first batch of Salsa's I built. I've always remembered that first batch as being 6 bikes, but for the life of me I can't come up with the 6 names they went to, I can only account for 5. ...no matter really.

Now knowing it was Terry's own bike, I can kinda sorta remember (maybe just power of suggestion though) that he indeed indeed give me a BMW color. Best bet is to ask him, sounds like you guys are in contact with him.
- Ross Shafer.

I'm pretty sure I won't have any info on those first bikes, but will look just to be sure, once I get up to the office this morning.

Lucky enough for me Terry and I are the same size so I will be restoring this bike to ride in the annual Pearl Pass ride this summer.

Terry is has provided us with the last remaining sets of original decals for the frame (If we nail the decals on the first round we will have an extra set available). The first set of 6 had a unique decal set as photographed below.

The Frameset and Silca pump will be sent off to Joe Bell to be painted in the original 1982 Imron BMW Charcoal Metalic Grey.

The build starts here as I begin to source the original build parts down to the greatest detail.

In the mean time, We wanted to photograph the bike exactly she sits prior to the restoration. As you can see most of the parts are not original and have been swapped out over the years. The last photo in this sequence is how the bike looked with it was 100% original.

Stay tuned!

Salsa #2 can be viewed over on Mombat's Site for reference on the final build:

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1982_Salsa_Scoboni.html

vtgsalsamtb-1.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-19.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-14.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-13.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-12.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-11.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-10.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-9.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-8.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-7.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-6.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-5.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-4.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-3.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-2.jpg

vtgsalsamtb-1.jpg

originalart.jpg

oldpicofsalsa.jpg

Re: 1982 Salsa Scoboni #6 Build Restoration

Wow,
My size also.
Not sure how this didn't garner any attention. This looks awesome.
Do you have a scan of the dirt rag article?
Did Ross make the bars?

My favorite Era (someone has to love the old ones!).

Yes Ross did make the bullmoose bars.... This is the only set out of the first 6 that have not been cut.

I do have a scan of the Dirt rag article and will get that added to this thread.

There is a lot for me to update on this build thread.... I've been slacking and will tackle this asap!

This frame is unique as it had the fish mouth top tube rotated 90 degrees since the top tube had been cut slightly short.

Close up?

Unfortunately we all cut our bars. What were we thinking. Working on an old Ritchey project and had to add 1.5" back to each side of the bars.

Ductape":1hmsdm5d said:
This frame is unique as it had the fish mouth top tube rotated 90 degrees since the top tube had been cut slightly short.

Close up?

Correct. I can definitely take a close up and then some on my next update!

Spectacular. Awesome find, TPC. I love it. Please take a picture of the top tube detail.

Saw Upchuck's Number....forgot which... (ameybrook, remember?) at Keyesville. It was amazing. Think Bushpig now owns that one.

Back