1993 WTB Phoenix (Updates on Pg 2)

timoshenko

Old School Hero
This is another project that's been slow coming together as parts have been accumulated. The frame was acquired thru feeBay coming from Brooklyn. It came as a full bike with a non-functioning Judy on the front and an assortment of other parts. The frame, seatpost and shift levers are all that remain from the bike as I received it. This is still a work in progress but one of the major remaining pieces (the Type II fork) arrived from Germany last week allowing me to build it up close to it's planned configuration.

Frame: 15" WTB Phoenix (Serial Number 93174, Non-Suspension corrected 134mm headtube)
Fork: Type II

Headset: 1" WTB-Chris King GreaseGuard
Stem: 1" Nitto-Specialized, 130mm
Handlebar: Moots Titanium 22.5"
Grips: WTB Original Trail Grips

Brakes: WTB SpeedMaster
Brake Pads: WTB Dual Compound GripMaster
Cantilever cable hangers: DiaCompe
Brake Cables: Shimano housing with Wheels Mfg Ferrules

Shifters Levers: Deore XT SL-M732
Brake Lever: DiaCompe SS5
Front Derailleur: XTR FD-M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR RD-M900
Derailleur Cables: XTR SP41 with Wheels Mfg Ferrules
Freewheel\cassette: XTR CS-M900 (Will be replaced with WTB-modified DuraAce 7sp freewheel)
Chain: KMC X9SL (Will be replaced with Shimano HG90 when 7sp freewheel is installed)
Cranks: XTR FC-M900 , 175mm
Crankbolts: Syncros Crank'o'matic
Chainrings: Shimano SG 48,38,28T
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Titanium
Pedals: Crank Bros EggBeaters with custom titanium axles

Hub Skewers: XTR M900
Rims: Mavic 231, 32H (Looking for 36H Mavic 231 to go with hubs)
Hubs: XTR M900, 32H (Will be replace with WTB Greaseguard, 36H)
Tires: Timbuk II from FirstFlight

Saddle: Specialized-WTB Team Prolong
Seatpost: Syncros 31.8x425
Seatpost Binder: SRP Titanium

Weight:22.4lbs (in current configuration, maybe a bit heavier in the final configuration)

Eventually, the wheelset will be replaced. I have a pair of WTB GreaseGuard hubs and a WTB-modified DuraAce Freewheel. Hubs are 36H, I would have preferred 32H but it took a while to find this pair (hubs were sourced separately, the rear is NOS). Currently looking for 36H Mavic 231 rims in very good condition, but it's proving to be challenging.

So besides the wheelset mentioned above what's left to get it to the final planned build configuration?

1. Replace the Syncros seatpost with a WTB-style seatpost with a Suntour XC-Pro clamp head (I'm unlikely to find an original one, so the plan is to fabricate a reproduction). The WTB-style seatpost looks like this:

2. Repaint the frame,fork, and stem. The frame has been repainted once in the past by D+D but it needs to be redone. The frame colour will remain the original pearl white. The fork will have the lower fork legs in pearl white and the crown in a dark blue similar to the blue anodizing on the SpeedMaster brakes. The stem will be the same blue to tie-in with the crown.

With quite a few WTB products in this build, you might wonder why I didn't use a WTB front brake cable hanger, similar to this:

Well, I actually tried initially but I couldn't manage to get a workable cable entry angle without raising the stem substantially. The frame already has a tall head tube and raising the stem wouldn't have given a suitable riding position. So, I went with the Nitto-Specialized which likely pre-dates the frame by a few years but seems to suit the build. The WTB hangers seem better suit to LD stem applications where the cable can come in at nearly 90 degrees to the hanger.

Re: 1993 WTB Phoenix

Fantastic Crispin. A Phoenix is on my must have list :D

Very nice bike :D
a mounted bike judiciously.
the seat post wtb, is perfect, was manufactured in black color? It would be even more perfect!

Good job!!!

One of my all time fave frames, rode one once and was hooked, great build too ;)

Stunning bike - it is a shame we don't see the WTB gems more often!

Thanks for that.

Moritz

Back